Minimum Size Tank For Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jolee0722

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello AquariumAdvice users. I was wondering what size tank I would need for all these fish:
1 flame angel or 1 multicolor angel (I would love to keep both so could you also recommend a tank that I would be able to fit both of them in too)
1 midas blenny
1 tailspot blenny
1-3 kaudern's cardinal
3 acares midget reef chromis (grow to maximum of 2 inches)
2 ocellaris clownfish
2-4 firefish (haven't decided which type yet. I love the helfrichi firefish but they are so expensive)
1 exquisite fairy wrasse or a pair
I am also thinking about getting a goby pistol shrimp pair. Also, I would like to get a trio of anthias so could you recommend a peaceful, smaller, and easier to keep anthia. Thank you.

Kaudern's/banggai cardinal IME will fight to the death until one is left. you would need more like 200G tank to house more than one species of dwarf angel even then there are no guarantees, for anthias i like the squarespot thats what i personal own but they get fairly large, dispar anthias require the least amount of room if i remember correctly, I would say that 90 gallons would be the very minimum but leave you little room to add a fish if you did (and you will) see one you wanted later down the road and even then you're pushing it i would think for a 90. 125 is more suitable. Anthias, angles, chromis amd clowns are all very active swimmers. Plus the stocking list you have would be a large bio load for anything smaller than a 125. You can never go wrong with a bigger tank and basing your purchase on minimum tank size is setting yourself up for failure. I would honestly suggest 125 or larger. but a 90 will probably do

So just one kauderns cardinal and one dwarf angel, correct? Also, after thinking about it, I will probably only get one wrasse. This is some sad news to hear because I have limited space and was hoping I would be able to get thus list. What would you recommend cutting back on if I wanted to get a smaller tank.

I have 3 banggai cardinals in my 110 gal. They cohabitate just fine. They gang up on my 3 spotted cardinal fish tho. Not terribly bad, just an occasional 'herding' of the spotted ones into a corner.

Yes but I don't have room for that big a tank it will definitely need to be under 100

I think you are going about this backwards.. Just get the biggest tank you can afford and have space for. Then when tank is ready, slowly add fish. Find out what will fit in that tank and then choose your favorites first. Take compatibility into consideration as well while picking.

Yeah...two dwarf angels is a bad idea unless you have a big tank so they have lots of room to avoid one another. Dwarf angels and Anthias need a 70g+, so if you have to have those, your answer is that size or larger (my 75g was a four foot). If you are going to have a lot of fish, go with overkill on the skimmer too (rated for twice your tank size, or more).

Yes, I have decided to go with only one angel, probably the multicolor because it is so beautiful, one exquisite fairy wrasse, probably male, and only one anthia, haven't decided but probably squareback or ignites/flame. I have also heard about doubling with skimmers and I plan to do so. I hopefully will be able to fit a 90 gallon tank in if my dad allows. I'm crossing my fingers in hope that my dad will say yes t a 90 gallon. Also, does anyone know what the ratings for the new super space saver reef octopus skimmers are (like recommended for how many gallons). I have seen pictures of them and I fell in love. I plan to either get 2 radions, 2 aquaillumination hydras (waiting for hydra 52s), or 2 kessil a350w.

I disagree on the pygmy angel's needing a 200G tank to house more than one. I have a multi colored and Vanustus in a 40g, granted I am upgrading soon, but they are completely fine together.

I think a long as angels can get away from each other they should be fine. Also if you are going to spend money anywhere, spend it on the skimmer. Theres alot of skimmers that are 4-5-$600 and the majority are priced that way for a reason, they are among the best. In terms of tank size, id measure what space you have the. Go from there. Theres also several dimensions for each size tank. (there are 4 ft 125's and 6 ft 125's for example.) knowing your available footprint dimensions will help to narrow down what tank to do.

I have decided that I am going to go with a 90 gallon. As for the angels, im hoping that when I get them they will get along.

As for a skimmer, I have decided on a reef octopus rated for 250 gallons. I may change my mind though once the new reef octopus super space savers come out.

Id reconsider the space saver design. Im sure they are ok and pull skimmate out, however they prob have to give up a bit of performance to gain the small size

Actually from what I've heard they allow the maximum amount of air in them. I'll just wait and see. If they are not good then I will go with the classic reef oxtopus skimmer I mentioned before.

Actually from what I've heard they allow the maximum amount of air in them. I'll just wait and see. If they are not good then I will go with the classic reef oxtopus skimmer I mentioned before.

I don't think you need to upsize to something rated for 250 gallons but you gesurely wont hurt anything doing it. Also if you add fis that end up fighting then its insanely hard to catch in a tank with rock. Especially angels. IME they are almost as bad as catching damsels. 90 gallons is pushing it for your stocking list but with the skimmer you choose and depending upon your filtration you may be alright as long as you maintain it regularly. I still think your angels will fight eventually. I've had two in my 210 and they still fought and like i said it took me 2 weeks to finally catch the flame angel. Hope it helps

I'm thinking of just one anthia and probably one cardinal and one wrasse but hopefully I can get 2 angels. Probably going to go with 2 firefish but if I think there is possibly room I will add 2 more.

As for filtration, I was thinking 2 filter socks first and then the protein skimmer and a refugium after with heaters in it. And then the return pump will be last. I dont think I will be getting reactors as my refugium will do all that. I was also thinking about adding some sponges into the sump I am planning. I plan to either build the entire sump myself or order a custom made one from synergy.

Dont spend money on a prebuilt unit. Itll cost a fraction of the money to make a diy refugium sump. Also reactors provide benefits that refugiums dont offer in large effect. (carbon, gfo, etc)

I personally love filter socks. Yes they are a pain to keep clean and need hosed out every few days, but they are dirt cheap to buy and provide excellent mechanical filtration

Yes but I heard the money for a reactoe will rack up really quickly. I will only get a custom sump if I have money to do so because custom sumps offer better materials and specially designed acrylic like glass walls with holes in them that I canr drill because they are different shapes.

Yes but I heard the money for a reactoe will rack up really quickly. I will only get a custom sump if I have money to do so because custom sumps offer better materials and specially designed acrylic like glass walls with holes in them that I canr drill because they are different shapes.

Then you should have heard that everything in saltwater adds up faster than you think not just reactors lol. You shouldnt need any holes drilled in the sump. if you don't already have an external skimmer then you can just buy an in sump skimmer and you're fine.

Back
Top Bottom