Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Minimum Size Tank For Fish

Hello AquariumAdvice users. I was wondering what size tank I would need for all these fish:
1 flame angel or 1 multicolor angel (I would love to keep both so could you also recommend a tank that I would be able to fit both of them in too)
1 midas blenny
1 tailspot blenny
1-3 kaudern's cardinal
3 acares midget reef chromis (grow to maximum of 2 inches)
2 ocellaris clownfish
2-4 firefish (haven't decided which type yet. I love the helfrichi firefish but they are so expensive)
1 exquisite fairy wrasse or a pair
I am also thinking about getting a goby pistol shrimp pair. Also, I would like to get a trio of anthias so could you recommend a peaceful, smaller, and easier to keep anthia. Thank you.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Kaudern's/banggai cardinal IME will fight to the death until one is left. you would need more like 200G tank to house more than one species of dwarf angel even then there are no guarantees, for anthias i like the squarespot thats what i personal own but they get fairly large, dispar anthias require the least amount of room if i remember correctly, I would say that 90 gallons would be the very minimum but leave you little room to add a fish if you did (and you will) see one you wanted later down the road and even then you're pushing it i would think for a 90. 125 is more suitable. Anthias, angles, chromis amd clowns are all very active swimmers. Plus the stocking list you have would be a large bio load for anything smaller than a 125. You can never go wrong with a bigger tank and basing your purchase on minimum tank size is setting yourself up for failure. I would honestly suggest 125 or larger. but a 90 will probably do

Old 09-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

So just one kauderns cardinal and one dwarf angel, correct? Also, after thinking about it, I will probably only get one wrasse. This is some sad news to hear because I have limited space and was hoping I would be able to get thus list. What would you recommend cutting back on if I wanted to get a smaller tank.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have 3 banggai cardinals in my 110 gal. They cohabitate just fine. They gang up on my 3 spotted cardinal fish tho. Not terribly bad, just an occasional 'herding' of the spotted ones into a corner.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes but I don't have room for that big a tank it will definitely need to be under 100
Old 09-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think you are going about this backwards.. Just get the biggest tank you can afford and have space for. Then when tank is ready, slowly add fish. Find out what will fit in that tank and then choose your favorites first. Take compatibility into consideration as well while picking.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah...two dwarf angels is a bad idea unless you have a big tank so they have lots of room to avoid one another. Dwarf angels and Anthias need a 70g+, so if you have to have those, your answer is that size or larger (my 75g was a four foot). If you are going to have a lot of fish, go with overkill on the skimmer too (rated for twice your tank size, or more).
Old 09-10-2013, 11:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes, I have decided to go with only one angel, probably the multicolor because it is so beautiful, one exquisite fairy wrasse, probably male, and only one anthia, haven't decided but probably squareback or ignites/flame. I have also heard about doubling with skimmers and I plan to do so. I hopefully will be able to fit a 90 gallon tank in if my dad allows. I'm crossing my fingers in hope that my dad will say yes t a 90 gallon. Also, does anyone know what the ratings for the new super space saver reef octopus skimmers are (like recommended for how many gallons). I have seen pictures of them and I fell in love. I plan to either get 2 radions, 2 aquaillumination hydras (waiting for hydra 52s), or 2 kessil a350w.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:56 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Breakthecycle2
I disagree on the pygmy angel's needing a 200G tank to house more than one. I have a multi colored and Vanustus in a 40g, granted I am upgrading soon, but they are completely fine together.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:14 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think a long as angels can get away from each other they should be fine. Also if you are going to spend money anywhere, spend it on the skimmer. Theres alot of skimmers that are 4-5-$600 and the majority are priced that way for a reason, they are among the best. In terms of tank size, id measure what space you have the. Go from there. Theres also several dimensions for each size tank. (there are 4 ft 125's and 6 ft 125's for example.) knowing your available footprint dimensions will help to narrow down what tank to do.

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, tank, size, mini, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com