Minumum tank size for salt water ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I need to do a really small budget tank less than 60$ in total supplies is that possible ? Probably not ?

No way, you'll barely get a small freshwater all said and done for that. I'd do some serious research before you take on a saltwater tank

That's a tricky question...do you care more about the money or the tank? $60 is not much...Petco sometimes does dollar a gallon deals, so you could get a 20g and still have a little left over for a filter. You are still going to need sand, rock, test kit, hydrometer or refractometer, lights, heater, salt to make water for water changes, etc. A 20g is really going to limit what you can add, as far as fish. There is always Craigslist, but I have not seen a package deal for $60, even on there.

I meant 60 on like a tank and filter *

I've spent like 270 on my 20 gallon fresh water tank

Oh well like was said above, the necessities for a saltwater tank regardless is going to run you well over $60. You can alway find tanks cheap but filters are harder to find at a good price and in good condition. Also depends on if you just want fish or also live rock.

That's a tricky question...do you care more about the money or the tank? $60 is not much...Petco sometimes does dollar a gallon deals, so you could get a 20g and still have a little left over for a filter. You are still going to need sand, rock, test kit, hydrometer or refractometer, lights, heater, salt to make water for water changes, etc. A 20g is really going to limit what you can add, as far as fish. There is always Craigslist, but I have not seen a package deal for $60, even on there.

I guess I'll hold off till I get a steady job then that way I can do it right :) thanks !

That is a wise decision. Cutting corners is gonna cause regrets later. Go the opposite way with it. Start with what you want in stocking. Base your tank size on the fish you want and go with prices building around that tank size. If you can find a good deal for the size you want on Craigslist, jump on it.

That is a wise decision. Cutting corners is gonna cause regrets later. Go the opposite way with it. Start with what you want in stocking. Base your tank size on the fish you want and go with prices building around that tank size. If you can find a good deal for the size you want on Craigslist, jump on it.

Sounds good ! Ill be back for advice in a few months hopefully !

I got my 40 gallon tank with EVERYTHING ( but heater an fish) for $100 even! Even some saltwater stuff.. Check out salvation army you might get lucky!

SW can become expensive in supplies and maintenance. If you cant commit to a monthly budget or time i would suggest not getting a SW tank. They need alot of attention because your basically mimicking a part of nature. But who am i to stop you :)

Nano tanks are more unstable and require more attention. Big tanks are more stable and need more $$$. Its a double edged sword lol

But to sum it up, yes it is possible. If you cant afford a water test kit atm just run your water down to the local lfs weekly. I got my api sw kit on amazon for 20$. It retails 30$ in the store.

I'd check craigslist regularly and maybe your local reef club. You might can pick up bits and pieces at a time until you get everythign you ned to start. I scored a drilled 40B and stand a week ago for $40. Unfortunately, as everyone else has said, the tank is the cheapest part. Even with moving stuff over from my 37, I ended up spending another $100 on plumbing, materials to make a screen top and, a piece of plywood for the bottom of the stand, and hardware to hang the lights. (About $35 of that was tools I needed to complete the installation.) Wait for the good deals to come and be patient.

I'm in the uk and I've got a 55g with stand it came with a fluvel 306 canister filter heater t8lighting system that cost me over £400 then there was the skimmer live rock ocean rock live sand salt water water circulators salt watt test kits in total cost me nearly £1000 Stirling but I love it

I'm in the uk and I've got a 55g with stand it came with a fluvel 306 canister filter heater t8lighting system that cost me over £400 then there was the skimmer live rock ocean rock live sand salt water water circulators salt watt test kits in total cost me nearly £1000 Stirling but I love it

Hopefully you have a backup battery!

Back
Top Bottom