Mirroring the back of my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeraljay

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is this expensive? I have a 80 gallon tank and before I drill it for my return lines on the back I would like to have it mirrored. I dont want people to see all my pluming in the back. Also Should I wait until after I get my hole drilled to mirror it?

Jeff

I used to have a cicilid that went bonkers when it saw it's reflection. Might want to think twice about that if you have any agressive fish.

As for price, that will vary alot by area, so call a local glass shop and ask. You can probably just order the mirroring and the drilling done at the same place, and they can figure out which to do first.

Many fish that are passive with other species don't like seeing another of thier own kind, like gobies.

Is it possible to do a light blue background? or any other type of color then to mask the plumbing

Oh yes, spraypainting the back of the tank is very popular! If the tank is unoccupied, you just have to mask off the edges and spray on your color of choice. Black and blue are the most popular. If occupied, put lots of plastic over the top of the tank, and run fresh carbon every day you're working on it.

Paint, or blue or back stick on. I think a mirror will also make the tank look really busy. Everything in front of the tank is mirrored. Viewers too.

Mirroring will not stay stuck to the glass if it stays wet. Ever seen the large bathroom mirrors with the finish coming off at the bottom from glass cleaner etc running down them?

if you want mirror (which your fish will probably hate..) you can get a light styro covered plastic that they use for bed canopies... its somewhat durable...

I would avoid spray paint and just go get some oil based black or blue paint

or just buy the sheeting for 10 bucks ;)

my gilr had the idea to spray paint the back a frosted glass finish. I sprayed it last night, It looks pretty good. It will at least obscure any plumbing which is good enough for me. I like it. Thanks guys

I have the back of my 150 mirrored. The fish do not pay it any attention at all. This tank started as a saltwater tank and now is fresh. When it was salt, the rocks were about 6 inches from the back and we were actually able to observe the fish that typically "hid". It also gave the tank an appearance of more depth. (obviously)
Now that the tank is fresh, I like it even more, the plants reflections make it look very heavily planted when in fact, it isnt. As I already mentioned, the fish could care less. The tank has huge angels, a blackghost and a very large silver dollar, along with some smaller incidental fish.

My current background is actually insulating foam. One side was printed with random stuff, but the other side is a nice blue, and it keeps the tank warm with less energy in winter.

Back
Top Bottom