Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-26-2004, 09:58 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Does the tank you are getting have 2 overflow boxes?
A reef ready tank not only has the holes pre-drilled but also has 1 or 2 corner overflow boxes or 1 center overflow box. Look at THIS ILLUSTRATION.

If you decide to go with a DSB, go with 4+ inches of Caribbean (aragonite) sand. Home Depot sells it as play sand on the east coast for about $5.00 US per 50 pound bag. There are two stores listed for Ottawa, so you may want to check with them. You would find in the garden section and it's known as Southdown, Old Castle, or Yardright. I have 300# in my 125 tank.

Heater: You might also want to consider the Won Brothers Pro Heat II heater. No glass that could break. Big Al's does not seem to carry it, but many other on-line retailers do. Let us know if you need recommendations.

Water Movement: Most people here like the Maxi-Jets. I have 3 of the 1200's on a wavemaker and 2 Hagen 802's.

Sumps: You can buy pre-made sumps or make one yourself from a 20 gallon tank. Check the DIY area or do a search for some ideas.

Protein Skimmer: I don't think the Backpack or Remora are sized for a 120. You may want to look at the Turboflotor Skimmer, ETSS, Berlin, or EuroReef.

My tank was originally filled from the tap. I now use RO/DI water only for water changes and top off. You should consider getting one now.

This is an expensive hobby as far as the initial setup goes. If you do it right the first time you'll save money in the long run.

I'm still longing for MH lights. For now I'm using the Coralife Aqualight (2-36").

The best thing you can do is keep asking questions before spending your hard earned money. Read the Articles and then ask more questions.

Good luck

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 11:23 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
I would have to make a special order to obtain a reef ready tank. They order them from California and can take a couple of months to receive. I prefer to just buy something already available and have the holes drilled at the rear of the tank. After reading a lot of material, I should go with two drains and two adjustable returns. Possibly using one pair for the sump and another pair for a closed loop. Aragonite and LR has already been decided, but I did not know that HD was selling the stuff. I have considered two heaters for the main tank, with digital thermometer. You are correct, I will require to get the RO-DI after the main tank is filled for the first time. do not want to use tap water all the time. I understand about cost of the initial setup, no issues here, but it made my wife raise eyebrows when she saw the price for the MH light system (2K$) She was ready to give up on the aquarium project. LOLOL So, I will go for high intensity light systems for now, tho I do not know what brand. I have to wait and see what the canopy will look like. Thanks for your time and patience,

Serge is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com