Missing blue Damsel - do I take apart the tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patrickk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all! I'm new to SW, and have my new tank setup for a few weeks now, with live rock, a couple hermit crabs, etc... all has been doing good! Over the weekend my wife talked me into getting two little blue damsels. One is doing great, the second has gone missing! I'm afraid I may need to start moving all my live rock looking for it, hoping it isnt dead in a small crevice.... BUT, I'm a little reluctant to start "undoing" all my rock looking for this little guy - thoughts?

I'd leave it alone. Do you have hermit crabs in there? If you do, they'll take care of the remains. I'd never agree to taking a tank apart to look for fish under any circumstances, unless it's huge and there's a possibility there'd be an ammonia spike due to the decaying body. A damsel won't do that unless we're talking about a 5g tank.

Also, check behind the tank on the floor.

Thanks Ray. It's not a big tank, 29 GAL and I've testing ammonia 2-3 times a day the past couple of days since this guy "went missing", no spikes - not yet at least. I do have a few hermit crabs roaming the tank and still running carbon through filter.

The crabs have likely eaten well. No worries. Your live rock can easily absorb any ammonia from the small fish dying.

Why the carbon by the way?

Back
Top Bottom