Missing Cleaner Shrimp uh oh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I started with 5 about 2 weeks ago. I now can find only 3. :-(

Could my pistol shrimp be getting them? He is kinda big...I only house a yellow tang, a goby and a blenny so I know they arent killing them. lol

If they got whatever the other fish had that died I'd expect to see a corpse or something. I've been digging in rock and with flashlights at night trying to find them and my gramma.

I also have peppermint shrimp, but it looks like there may be 2 of them missing as well.

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys!

Did they molt? I have a skunk cleaner shrimp and i thought he was dead 3 days later I found him hiding under a rock and his molted shell on the other side of the tank

I've been doing hourly head counts in this tank, LOL and havent run across any molted carcasses. I do have a decent cuc though, maybe they are eating them after they are dead.

The thought is I introduced marine velvet into the tank which I thought inverts weren't susceptible to.

Inverts aren't succeptible to it. And I too doubt molting is the answer. Not for 3 missing shrimp at the same time.

Could the culprit be the pistol shrimp? Just your opinion lol I know I can't be sure. I am sure the tang, blenny and goby didnt do it though. ;-)

could be, i just bought 4 dwarf cleaners and i can only find the bigger one, saw my cleaner shrimp munching on one yesterday and the other day tehre was crab molts where the cleaner sets up shop.

i do love my cleaner though, today when i stuck my hand in my tank to pull some halmedia off the rocks it like instantly came to clean my hand lol with no fear when i was moving my hand around

It's possible the shrimps are killing each other. I watched two of my peppermint shrimp attack and kill another one. I doubt it was because the shrimp was ill, or dying, since they were together for several weeks. But who knows, probably something to do with breeding. The corpse was completely gone in 30 minutes though.

Back
Top Bottom