Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-26-2003, 10:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

missing fish

I just started a Reef tank. I added three blue/green chromis and three clowns. They are about the same size. I noticed one of the chromis was missing. I looked all over the tank (moved rock ect) and cannot find him. Is it possible the others ate him?

Old 11-26-2003, 12:04 PM   #2
steve-s

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com

Check the overflow box, sump and around the tank.... Got 4 legged pets? If you have a decent amount of crabs and such in the tank it is also more than possible that the fished died and the body was consumed.

How large is the tank? 3 clownes are not a good idea unless in a very large system and you will evetually have problems...

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-26-2003, 12:12 PM   #3

missing fish

Thanks for the advice. I have a 90 gal tank, no crabs or anything else other than the fish. My glass top prevents the fish from getting into the overflow of the reef ready tank.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:22 PM   #4
steve-s

Depending on when it went missing, there is still a good chance it decayed although that would take a bit of time and could be easily missed if lodged in a rock. I seriously doubt the fish have eaten it.

I would strongly recommend you re-think the 3 clowns in a 90 gal. What species are they?

Also with a glass top on the tank, make sure you keep an eye on the ph/alk of the water. Even if you have a large sump and good water flow there is still a chance for CO2 build up as you increase the animal stock.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-26-2003, 01:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would like to comment about the three clowns as well, I am curious what species they are...

A long while back during the cycling of my tank one of my fish was not feeling well and went to hide out because he was stressed, I found him burried in a rock cave in the back, if one of your fish was not feeling well most likely he died somewhere where you can't see him.

How long has your tabk been going?

What are your ammonia levels like?
Old 11-30-2003, 08:09 PM   #6

sorry it took so long to reply. The three clowns are pecular clowns and seem to be getting along nicely. I did find part of the chromis that was missing. Did i make a mistake only getting 3 chromis. Should there be more in the tank.

Grumpy
Old 11-30-2003, 08:24 PM   #7
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy
sorry it took so long to reply. The three clowns are pecular clowns and seem to be getting along nicely.
It will not stay that way for long. As they mature, two will eventually pair up. When that happens, they will kill the odd one out. Be sure you return one as soon as possible. The "middle" sized one would be the best option. Keep the largest and smallest of the three.

Quote:
I did find part of the chromis that was missing. Did i make a mistake only getting 3 chromis. Should there be more in the tank.
Sorry to hear about that.
If you want them to school, it would be better if they where in groups of 6 or more of the same species. Be wary of how many you get though as they will use a fair amount of you stock room for a 90 gal tank, 6 chromis is about 9" of fish.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
missing, missing fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com