Mistakes you made?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AliGee

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all,

I've been keeping freshwater for years. Cichlids, invertebrates and a separate shrimp tank.

I want to switch to salt water but I am on a college budget. I will be starting with a 55 gal. I cannot go any bigger at this time being in an apartment.

What were some things you did that you regret, or wish you would have done right away from the beginning??

I don't need to do this quickly, I need to do it correctly. I have no money to make mistakes.

My long term goal is to have a tank that runs smoothly and is easy to clean. I have had self-sustaining bio tanks in the past and love the all natural vibe. But most of all I want it to be immaculate... Clean, show quality, and a very healthy environment for all its inhabitants.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Did you get your water checked? I read your other thread, and it would be a shame to see that happen to an expensive saltwater tank. There's a lot of money involved in a saltwater tank, and you'll make mistakes along the way, but I haven't actually kept one by myself. I'm sure others will chime in on this.

Nils

I agree with the above and I would add that my biggest mistake (which has got me twice over the years) is not QTing fish. I've had Velvet introduced twice that wiped out everything in a matter of days.

I too have a 55gallon reef tank and I have a few regrets:

1. DRILL YOUR TANK!!!!! Buy a glass or acrylic tank that is "not" tempered glass and have an internal overflow. My HOB overflow works just fine, but I think it's nicer to have it drilled.

2. Research a DIY or have a durso procedure made on your overflow (whether internal or external) reduce that gurgling noise!

3. Lighting: There are many lighting options if you plan to keep a reef. But do the right thing, and save up for a good set of lights. I started out with the aqueon T8 flourecent lights. I "thought" that I would only want a FOWLR tank. But this hobby is so awesome and addicting, you will want to go to corals.

I'm with Mr X with sub standard equipment. I got most of my stuff as Christmas presents. Don't rush or cut corners. I think keeping fish is easy. It's keeping water that's the hard part with saltwater. I really enjoy testing my water and cleaning my tank!

1. Not qt ing fish.

2. Adding nuisance corals that are ugly and invasive.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Reusing an old sandbed without rinsing it.

Adding this dang blenny who munches clams! (Couldn't of prevented it but I regret it lol)

Adding invasive corals like green star polyps!

Not getting into the sw side of this hobby sooner :D

Did you get your water checked? I read your other thread, and it would be a shame to see that happen to an expensive saltwater tank. There's a lot of money involved in a saltwater tank, and you'll make mistakes along the way, but I haven't actually kept one by myself. I'm sure others will chime in on this.

Nils

I haven't started a salt yet and I will NOT be using tap... I plan to get water from my LFS.

AIO style cube tank I am running currently. (moved to a small apartment in NYC).

Third build and a new house next year. Never again one of these.

Don't know if I dislike the cube shape or AIO lack of space worse.

Back
Top Bottom