Mixing LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got bait?

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is it OK to mix LR form Carribean/Fiji/Lalo and such? Will the organisms that live on each get along? I would like to have a mixture of the different shapes and textures if possible.

Also,
I know one would normally cyle a tank with uncured LR, but if I get cured and try to cycle with that, wont it still work eventually. I know I will have a big die off, but will everything return to normal after time. as well as it taking longer to cycle.

Is it OK to mix LR form Carribean/Fiji/Lalo and such? Will the organisms that live on each get along? I would like to have a mixture of the different shapes and textures if possible

Should be ok to do this as I have never heard anyone saying they had problems with it. But then again, I am not sure I have every actually read about anyone doing it.

:|

I know one would normally cyle a tank with uncured LR, but if I get cured and try to cycle with that, wont it still work eventually. I know I will have a big die off, but will everything return to normal after time. as well as it taking longer to cycle.

If you have real cured LR and you immediately put that into the tank then, theoretically, there would be no cycle because it has already occurred - hence the cured LR. This means that you could start stocking immediately.

I have actually never purchased cured LR so I have never tried this. All my LR was always purchased on-line and had to go back through the curing stage.

I'm not entirely sure about the cycle, but mixing lr is definately a good idea. It will give your tank more diversity.

Now that I read what I wrote, about the cycling thing, I am not so sure. The substrate will not have been cultivated with bacteria yet even if cured LR is used.

Perhaps someone else can answer this question for you.

Wow, isn't it weird that the industry has come so far that now everyone basically purchases "pre-cured" LR over the internet. Because of this, we are confused on how to use good ol'e fashioned cured LR.

:)

but if I get cured and try to cycle with that, wont it still work eventually.

To a degree...basically your tank won't cycle. It will instantly be ready to process nitrogenious waste, however you need to go slow.

Very interesting thread. I was about to post about similar concerns in selecting live rock myself.

Is it true that mixing live rock will give more diversity? Has anyone tested that theory?

Although it is counter-intuitive I too worry that mixing live rock will actually decrease diversity. Here in Michigan we have problems with invasive species (like zebra mussels and purple loosestrife) that are introduced and decimate hundreds of native species. I wonder if the same thing could happen on a smaller scale with the micro-fauna in my tank. I also wonder if anyone has seriously studied whether a tank does better if the LR matches the fish and coral in terms of its area of origin.

Thanks,
David

Take for instance you add Aquacultured rock and fiji, for there to be a less diversive fauna than just using on rock. The invasive species would have to annihalate all the life on one type of rock as well as it's own. I find that unlikely. Even if one or two species from the other rock survives...your life on your rock is more diverse.

Perhaps, but maybe not

reefrunner69 said:
Take for instance you add Aquacultured rock and fiji, for there to be a less diversive fauna than just using on rock. The invasive species would have to annihalate all the life on one type of rock as well as it's own. I find that unlikely. Even if one or two species from the other rock survives...your life on your rock is more diverse.

Only if you consider only one foreign species at a time. Take the following example:

Fiji rock - 50 species
Florida Rock - 50 species

One of the Fiji Species kill 20 Florida, another kill 10
One of the Florida species kills 30 of the Fiji

Now you have 20 Fiji left and 20 Florida left - 10 less than on either original. BTW - put in LR to my tank yesterday - mixed types.

David

I am planning on going with Keys Rock and Gulf rock from www.liverocks.com for my diversity. Zack told me the Keys was more colorful and the gulf had more critters. Sounds like a good mix to me.

I think that if given the opportunity, we can greatly over exaggerate bio-diversity with mixing LR. All of this rock comes from the ocean. Yes, different parts of the world, however many of the species that are on the rock are the same on all rock... I have 5 different types of LR in my tank, Marshall Island, Fiji, Fla Aquacultured, Hand picked Atlantic Ocean Rock, Gulf Rock. All shared the same properties when I got them, and I have not seen anything in the way of decreased amounts of bio-diversity... Now of course I am no scientist yet. I think if we need an answer to this, it would be best to contact Dr. Ron, Martin Moe Jr., etc... about what their studies have shown... Interesting thread...

I believe our train of thought needs to be that we are creating a bio-diverse habitat of your very own, unless you are doing a specific region as a theme. What you are creating is is just that, what YOU are creating. If you don't want invasive mussles then dont. I too have several types of rock including Fiji, Marshall, Bali, and cultured and really haven't had it long enough to say if is a problem. But my opinion is place whatever you like in your aquatic world. We may never see an ocean full of nothing but algea and turbo snails but you will see an aquarium with one, well if you want to that is.

Back
Top Bottom