Mixing Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been trying to figure out the correct amount of salt to add to my five gallon bottles when I do a water change. If I follow the info on the red sea package, I achieve only 1.010, not nearly the 1.025 that the pamphlet says I should get. I even let the water sit for one week and still not there. The recommendation is 1.6 lbs per five gallons, but I find I must add at least two pounds! I have calibrated my postal scale, and it is accurate, and I am using a refractometer, which I have also calibrated. Are the instructions just wrong? Or am I doing something wrong? I want to run the tank at 1.024.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Bruce

YMMV is what I've found. You'll just need to find the formula that works for you. The calibrated refractometer is the right thing to use, ignore the instructions and just figure out how much you need, then repeat for future use.

Temp. of the water will cause discrepancies. Get the water the same temp as your main tank and then figure out how much you need. It will basically the same if you match the temp.

I agree. If you are using a hydrometer and the water is cold, you will get lower readings. You may also want to invest in a ph to better mix the salt alone with a heater to get it to the temp of your tank.

While I don't use the brand of salt you use, just for reference, I mix up 2 cups of salt (Reef Crystals) with 3.5 gallons of water and it gives me 1.025 spot on. I'm thinking most salt mixes use about the same proportions.

ya another decent rul of thumb i use is put about half a cup per gallon.... works fine for me. what sea salt mix are you using

Back
Top Bottom