Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Mixing Salt

Im starting my 55 gallon fish tank and was wondering if i can fill my fish tank with fresh water from the hose then dump the bag of salt in it and let the tank run and let the salt and water mix?

Old 12-14-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
Sliced Bread

for the initial fill you can do that if you're not putting anything in there right away. Obviously for PWCs you're going to need a way to premix the water before hand though.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yes, this is my initial fill, for my PWC i will buy the salt water my LFS sell. Luckily i am from Florida and there is plenty of ocean water to spare. I will start a Journal once i get the water in the tank.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would never use ocean water....if your LFS sells SW then they are just mixing it themselfs and charging you for the salt and there time, its rather simple to mix though.

I got a bucket of salt for 69.99 and it makes 160gal of water, so I just use a hydrometer to test the SG and im good to go, throw a heater and power head in the bucket over night and no problems.

When you first fill the tank dont assume you can just dump the whole bag of salt in the tank and be done, test the SG before you add to much.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

i would also never use ocean water...if u willing to have it, u have to go 30-40 miles away from the beach...the water from the beach is not good for tank....there is lot of waste in the water....
Old 12-15-2010, 12:48 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

and dont use tap water either for goodness sakes. you are just looking for huge algae problems. or zephyrhills. use only reverse osmosis/deionized water.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:04 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezon View Post
and dont use tap water either for goodness sakes. you are just looking for huge algae problems. or zephyrhills. use only reverse osmosis/deionized water.

I disagree with that statement, I have seen fantastic reef tanks using tap water. But it all depends on your tap water, and yes using RO/DI water will help a lot at keeping algea down but its not absolutely needed.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:05 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

IMO, yes u can use tap water but make sure to test it first...some of the tap water had high in unneeded particles....most of the forumers here suggesting RO or RO/DI water....
Old 12-15-2010, 02:50 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've said this many times on here if its your first fill tap water is perfectly fine considering most of us will do a 50% water change after the tank cycles. Now using ocean water, as long as your not getting it right off the coast you should be OK. There is very little differences between water 1 mile off the beach to water 30 miles off the beach. That said I mix all of mine...
Old 12-15-2010, 03:06 AM   #10
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I`m one of those that think you should not use tap water. Esp. for a reef tank. I work for a large water municipality. I know what goes in there for clean drinking water. Our water is rated the third best in the country so it`s great water but for human consumption. The compounds added to make it clean are good for us humans but bad for our reefs. Things like nitrates, phosphates, flouride, chlorine and many heavy metals used to bring the dirt particles to the bottom. Not a very good recipe for our reef tanks. Maybe the initial fill might be OK but none after that. I`ve had my reef for almost 13 yrs now without a crash yet (knocking on wood) and I`d like to attribute some of the cause to filtering out all that stuff with my RO/DI. Just my opinion and experience.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mixing, salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com