mixing saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blakskall

Aquarium Advice Freak
Sorry if it feels like im constantly posting threads guys, i just have a lot of questions.

I'm making a batch of saltwater in a clean 3 gallon just so i have some on the side. The purified water is room temp., i was wondering do i need a powerhead in the bucket or can i just mix it up every couple of hours untill its fully dissolved? I plan on sealing it up when its done and using it for anything i need in the future, does mixed saltwater ever go bad?

thanks,
Tyler

You need to have the water constantly agitated otherwise it will go stagnant.

Trust me, I learned my lesson from trying to bottle it.

Using a ph will make mixing easier bit not necessary. Just make sure its all mixed before adding also youre going to need extra for pwcs. Totally acceptable and recommended by many to have some on in case of emergency pwc. I wouldnt keep it just keep replacing it everytime you do a pwc

so wat u guys are saying is, its not a good idea to keep it shelved for a long period of time?

Def not, but if you have a few gallons on hand, use it in your reg pwc, then make more for the shelf until the next pwc it shouldnt be an issue

If you do pwc's weekly, simply mix a new batch after you do the pwc..it shuld be fine for a week. May I suggest doing a build thread if you're getting a tank together, that way you can post any and all questions about your tank in one single thread

Thanks blakskal for making this thread bu i have add Inq.???? What is not good stocking... saltmix or the ready mixed saltwater & what will be the implications coz i have some mix that were sitting in a plastic container should i mix it up already? I also use ocean water and sometimes i combine the 2 in my water tank is it bad? Thanks

i would not mix the salt water until the night before you use it. calcium precipitates out over time and the parameters of that water will change after a week. also, the ph will be off if you don't have it moving. i would purchase a power head specifically for the water change bucket/barrel.

Back
Top Bottom