Mixing saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Drive to the inlet and fill up my buckets.i would google it most say to run a powerhead and heater overnight for it to dissolve. Then it wont swing ph or burn the fish. Whatever brand you use checkout the website for info.

This is how I make my water: RO/DI water in a brute trash can (30 gallons), add salt (I use 1/2 for each gallon). Put a heater and powerhead in there and mix for 24 hours. Powerhead keeps the water moving and helps dissolve salt, heater for matching temp (don't want to shock habitants with new cold water).

My process is the same as others have stated. Fill a dedicated trash can with what I need, heater and head to move it for 24hrs-ish.

At a local store I bought a mixing rod that attaches to my cordless drill. I use this to help dissolve the salt faster and also cause it's kind of fun. Not required though.

In lazy with mixing my water. I've learned roughly how much gives me the salinity I want and dump it into a bucket. Pour the water over top and stir with a wooden spoon. Let it sit until a day before my water change, which is about 6 days, and mix it again before checking the salinity. It usually comes up 1.025, but if too high give it some more water or salt if it is too low. Do the water change the next day.

Back
Top Bottom