Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2005, 06:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Mixing Saltwater

Hey guys great site here, I've been reading the past couple of weeks as I'm getting ready to start my first saltwater tank. After mixing the saltwater for the first time my aquarium water has become a little bit cloudy. I assume this is just the salt dissolving the rest of the way and will soon clear up. I have the temp at about 80 and two powerheads stirring the water. Thanks in advance.[/code]

Old 02-28-2005, 06:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome

Yeah, if it's just salt, it will clear up. I don't know if you have a sand bed or not but it could be from that, or even air in your water if you are using tap. Either way, it should clear up.

Old 02-28-2005, 06:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

for future water changes, the saltwater must be mixed in a separate container, 24 hours (or more) in advance, circulated with a powerhead or airstone, and heated to match the tank temp.

some salts dissolve poorly (instant ocean) while others dissolve almost instantly (oceanic).
Old 02-28-2005, 06:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the quick responses. I already have a 30 gal. container, poerhead, heater and r/o unit for water changes. My plan is to start out with a FOWLR using reef safe fish and in a year or so after the tank has had time to establish trying some corals and such. The tank is a 100 gal. so I should be pretty wide open on my fish selection, within reason of course.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:48 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You don't really have to wait a year for corals. Anemones, yes...but many corals can be added to a fairly young tank, just as long as its stable (no ammonia, nitrites, low nitrates, little to no phosphate, and good calcium, alkalinity levels)
YOu could start with some mushrooms, or yellow polyps...something easy and non-demanding.

Tags
mixing, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com