Mixing saltwater in large container

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jereli

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have a 35-40 gallon trash can that I bought from home depot to mix my saltwater. But my pump and around the container has turned white. There's a lot of white stuff all over the pump, walls and bottom of container. Any ideas?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

One of those grey BRUTE Rubbermaid trash cans. I want to always have saltwater mixing and ready for use any time.

Hmmm, wierd. Have you tested to water? Including Tds? Do a full water work up.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well I filled up the trash can fr my RODI filter..zero tds.. Then added red sea pro salt... Week or two later pump and container has white film all over it.

yep, I get the same thing, after a few times filling it I will rinse it out but its harmless.
:)

Oh well okay good to know..just don't like the look of it lol

Yeah, my coating is kinda slimy. bleh. lol Like I said tho, a simple hose out will clean it right up. It doesnt stain or get stuck, it just leaves that coating. i can go like a month before it annoys and grosses me out so much that i rinse the pail.

This happens when you allow the saltwater to sit around for extended periods of time even if a pump is mixing it all the time.

Back
Top Bottom