Mixing various kinds of live rock? Good idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gsxrguru2

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just wondering if this is a good way to diversify hitchikers, rock appearance and algae. A lfs sells fiji boxes of 50lbs for 140.00. so i was thinking of going with some of that, some of the keys rock from lr.com and maybe some others. Is this worth the effort or will it all end up more or less, the same way if i just go with one type? Also, what is that kind of rock that looks branched- pacific maybe? anybody know where it can be purchased online?

tonga is branched I believe. You can find it many places including liveaquaria.com, etropicals.com and maybe marinedepotlive.com.

I like variety in my rock. I think that liverocks.com has nice rock but it is pretty dense. I like a lighter more open look in my show tank. Do not misunderstand what I am saying, liverock.com is decent biological filtration, I just like the looks of the natural rock better.

any place that sells fiji, tonga,lalo rock would be fine, I am not necessarily saying those places only. I have gotten 150 lbs of lalo and fiji from both marine depot and live aquaria and was happy with it.

Lalo, fiji and tonga rock are all more ornate looking than the gulf rocks are. I used the gulf rock as base and then got more decorative in the highly viewable areas.

Hara, do you have any current pics of your tank? i looked in your gallery and it seems like you only have pics from a couple of years ago. I would love to see how it looks now with all the varieties of lr.

Andy, whats up!? I still haven't gotten the tank hooked up yet. I need to do the plumbing and set up my pumps (which i still don't have...). Everytime i think i'm getting close to getting it going there's another project or something else to buy. Hopefully it will be up and running in a month or so. How about yourself, did the euro come yet?

Back
Top Bottom