mixing water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 10 gallon. I do 10% WC per week. I use RO water that I get from the store. I use Instant Ocean salt mix. I mix my water in a bucket by hand. I make about 3 gallons at a time. I mix to 1.025 SG. I do not have an extra power head and heater to use for mixing water. The mixed water usually sits for at least 4-5 days before I use it. I don't normally think to stir it every couple of days, but there was a time when I first started mixing that I did do that. I had the same issue that I describe below when I did stir it.

When I go to use my water it still has undissolved salt in it. I test and the SG is the same before and after I stir it up again, so I use it (I have no choice, really). But it bothers me that the salt does not dissolve all the way after that amount of time and it is going into the tank that way.

Any ideas?

If your going to mix your saltwater that way get yourself a second 5g bucket and mix 5g at a time you will find you will get a better mix , Mixing smaller amounts always tend to vary salinity wise , you will notice this after a few water changes it can be building up or dropping as the salinity content isn't consistent ,

a 2 cup measuring cup filled level will give you a salinity of 1.025 rather than guessing with smaller amounts , I mix my water 4 hrs before I use it I don't use a power head , if it's mixed right with vigorous pouring from bucket to bucket it devolves salt faster , and right before I use it , I mix it 1 more time to be sure no salt is left in bucket , I use a heating pad under the bucket as I let the water rest before I need it , so it reaches room temp faster,
I also us my RO/DI unit for my water

Last edited:
Okay. I think I am adding the salt slowly, but not stirring at the same time. I am stirring after it is all added. Maybe that will help. The heating pad is an intriguing idea since I mix and store my water in the basement where it is a little colder. I bring it upstairs the day before I use it to warm it up, but the cold probably does not help the salt dissolve.

I wouldn't use a heating pad, but a heater from an old tank or something similar. I don't heat my water currently, but it sits side by side to my system as it mixes so it is pretty warm at 70 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom