Mixing Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gauge

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How long do you think that water should mix before you put it in your tank? I've been told at least 4 hours, but I want to make sure. I always do it overnight, but my tank's really low on water and I want to add 2-3 gallons today cuz the pump on my filter is starting to run dry. Rather than shifting stuff around, I'd like to get some water in there asap.

are you refering to replacing evaporated water? If you are, then you should be using pure RO water with NO salt. If you add salted water to replace evaportated water you will increase the salinity of your water. It can quickly reach dangerous levels this way. Just run your RO filter to create enough water to replace what's evaporated. It's "best" to let that water age overnight but if you need it in a hury, at least aerate it for a few hours and add slowly to the tank.

If your talking about water for a water change, most let the water mix and aerate over night.

ah... well then you can ignore most of my reply : o)

but i have a couple new comments:
- let the water mix for at least an hour or two minimum (and be sure it is mixing at the same temperature as the main tank)
- You should be acclimating new fish to a QT tank, not your main tank.

Yes, yes. I will be acclimating to a QT tank in the future. Hehe, you guys are like a bunch of mothers sometimes, rofl! :lol:

So, you think that if I were to start some water mixing at lunch and then after work (5 hours later) put it in the tank, it should be okay? I'd have a 100 gph pump in a 3-gallon container. Of course, I'd also check temp and pH before dumping the water in... I just wanted to make sure that was enough mixing time.

if it's necessary, yes, 5 hours should be enough. again, given that the water is at the right temperature.

Another caution: even if you are using a refractometer, you can't accuratly test the salinity until the water is throughly mixed. And if you're not using a refractometer you also have to wait for the water to be up to temperature. So even though you've let it mix for 5 hours, check the salinity again before adding it to the tank. You may need to adjust it some. Which means letting it mix some more.

Rule #1 in salt water aquariums: NEVER RUSH. :D

Chemical reactions are taking place in the newly mixing salt for about 24 hrs, so it is recommended that unless it is an emergency....you mix it for 24 hrs ;)

Back
Top Bottom