Mixing your own salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

200 gallon reef

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys. . . . I am starting to mix my own salt at home. I bought a 32 gallon brute on wheels. My question is once I put all of the necessary salt in the water do I leave the power head in there the whole time until the water change or can the water sit still until the weekend? Thanks

If it is RO/DI water there is nothing but just water so it doesn't need flow. Since you're talking about already mixed salt water it would probably be best to leave a power head in there, but I don't think there would be a major problem if you left it sitting a couple days. Idk maybe other people have had bad experiences with saltwater left still without movement for a short period of time, but I haven't.

Yea, I am trying to get into a rhythm of water changes every weekend and want to have it ready prior. So mixing it would be preferred.

Hey guys. . . . I am starting to mix my own salt at home. I bought a 32 gallon brute on wheels. My question is once I put all of the necessary salt in the water do I leave the power head in there the whole time until the water change or can the water sit still until the weekend? Thanks

yes a power head will help circulate salt releasing the gases
making it safe for the tank just make sure the salinity is right where you want it before adding it to the tank 1.023 - 1.026 is ideal
I keep mine at 1.025

Awesome. Frequent water changes is arguably the best habit to have in saltwater keeping...hope I can just keep up too! :lol:

I leave the powerhead (in my case a large pump attached to vinyl tubing) on during mixing overnight. Once it's mixed I turn off the pump\powerhead until it's ready to use in pwcs. Since this can be a few days to 1-2 weeks I usually have to add a bit of RODI water to get the salinity back to where i need it to be. If this is the case I turn the pump/powerhead on for 20 mins, check the salinity, and go ahead with my pwc.

Back
Top Bottom