Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-09-2004, 09:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Mixing your own SW...questions

How does everyone mix their own SW these days? I just bought a RO system and have used the water from it as top off water, but never to make replacement water. I need to do a water change soon and want to know whats the best way to go about doing this. I have about 10-15 gallons of RO water waiting. I took the PH last night and its way low...below 7.4 I think from what I could tell. So I put some buffer in there last night with a PH to circulate it. Once I get it up to my main tank PH which is around 8.2, then what do I do? I assume put some salt in but I really dont know how much? Guess just add a little at a time? Also I have a small 1300 Via Aqua pump in the RO water for circulation....is this enough? Its very small but circulates none the less...
Thanks for any and all advice.

fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 09:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Oceanic says to add 1/2 cup of salt per gallon. I always add just a little bit less than what it says.

Remember to Keep Christ First!
revhtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 09:52 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Here is what I do...I have my RO/DI water draining into a 40 gal rubbermade tub with an automatic shut-off float valve. This is what I use for my FW tank and for my SW top-offs. When it comes time to do a water change in my SW tank I fill up two 5 gal. buckets with RO/DI water, mix up my salt to the proper SG. Then I put in a power head, heater and air stone into each bucket and let is circulate for 24 hours. THis will allow for good O2 in the water and get it up to the proper temp. Recheck the SG and do my water change. When was your last water change? Your Ph seems a bit low. Regular small water changes will help keep this at the proper level. It will also replace those essential "trace elements" back into the water. I do a 10% water change every other week.
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 10:05 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
You don't need to worry about the pH of the RO water.. when you add the salt it will take care of pretty much everything, and you only have to concern yourself with the SG and Temp. Just read the instructions on the salt package to roughly gage how much you'll need for your water quantity, and make sure to aerate/circulate it overnight once the salt is in there.
My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met.
- Rodney Dangerfield.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 10:32 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Atari....You are absolutely right...heres the delimma. I have already added the PH buffer to the water...Am I still ok? I guess once I add the salt I will find out? I completely forgot about this. oh well...could be worse!
fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 03:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
just add salt and watch your levels if they are fine overnight id go ahead and add the water

it's better to be lucky than good ±
powderbluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com