Mixing your water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raven1770

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What's the best easiest, and most efficient way to mix your saltwater? I keep getting either low or too high readings. I'm using distilled water from the grocery store with some tap water treatment solution. Any help/advise is WELCOMED!!!!!

I use a Brute food-safe garbage can with a powerhead & heater to mix mine..... I keep about 24 gallons mixed at any given time in case a large change is needed or I need to set my QT up in a hurry.
If you're going to err one way or the other, it's better to mix your water a little on the higher salinity side, as it's very easy to dilute it down a bit. If it's on the low side, then you have to add more salt & wait for it to disolve again. I've got mine down to where I know 0.3lbs/gallon will nail 1.026 every time.
Distilled water is better than tap, but not ideal..... you really want to either find yourself an RODI source or get your own unit. I've purchased supposedly "distilled" water from the store just out of curiousity, and have seen TDS readings upwards of 50-100..... NOT good. A TDS meter is cheap insurance to see what's really going into your system.

I mix my water in 5 gal. pails to a salinity of 1.026 that way it is easy to add or subtract if you put to much or to little. Let it sit for 24 to 48 hours before adding to tank. I store 15 gallons of water that I use to fill the pails. If your able I would get an ro/di unit it will be much cheaper then buying water at the store.

Back
Top Bottom