Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-14-2004, 10:41 PM   #11
steve-s

Black mollies are your best bet. They are better suited for the higher ph and temps of a SW tank. Best suggestion is get the tank set up and cycled before you do. Having LR is just fine and will offer some hiding places and possibley grazing foods for them. Not to sure they are grazers though.

Believe it or not they can be transitioned in less than a day. Place them in a container appropriate for their size and the amount of water than can easily be removed from the SW display tank. One gal per fish should do but only fill about ¼ with FW for the fish. QTing for parasitic problems is not a concern. The parasites will not survive the transition.

Slowly drip the SW from the main tank into the container over several hours. Once full, empty ½ the water and discard. Keep doing that until the salinity of the main tank and the molly "pen" are the same. You may need to re-acclimate them for temp but after that, net and place in the display. Be sure to discard all the removed water so you do not alter the main tanks salinity. Then simpley replace with well aged new SW.

Mollies in general are pretty messy fish so I would not recommend them for smaller tanks unless you like alot of maintenance

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-14-2004, 11:49 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mhaynes01
thank you but i think i'll take the long route for acclmatign because my tank is 3 weeks in to is cycle so it should/nt take too much longer to cycle so when it does are everything is normal i'll put that molly in there

Old 01-19-2005, 02:25 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I currently have 2 orange sailfins in my sw tank. I acclimated each of them in seperately in 4 hours or less using the drip method. Once the water in the bucket is up to salinity, you can add the fish. Both are very healthy and active. They are voraciuos algae feeders and bottom sifters. They are very peaceful fish and I find them a great addition to my tank.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:07 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have personally acclimated a molly to saltwater in less than an hour. It is not hard at all, and they do great in a saltwater environment. mine has been alive in saltwater for over 5 months now. They keep my top layer of sand sifted and my power heads clean of algae. Great with live rock.

aqua c remora skimmer w/maxijet 1200
90 LBS LS
70 LBS LR
CPR AQUAFUGE 18
30 BLUE LEG HERMITS
3 PEPPERMINT SHRIMP
1 CLEANER SHRIMP
CORALIFE AQUALIGHT PRO2X96 wattPCACTINIC
2X150 WATT METAL HYLIDE
WITH LUNAR LEDS
TWO PERCULA CLOWNS
TWO CORAL CATFISH
TWO GREEN SARON SHRIMP
ONE YELLOW TANG
ONE MANDARIN DRAGONET
15 FLORIDA TURBO SNAILS
1 SIX LINE WRASSE
SYLVERXRS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mollies, salt, saltwater, saltwater aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com