Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #1

money issues

Ok i know I've posted out this before but i can not get enough money to start a saltwater aquarim I want to start with a 75+ gallon reef tank but I'm to young to get a job and i can't even get a saltwater tank an till we move and right now i don't live in a neiborhood and only have 2 10 gallon freshwater tanks i have 1 up side down cat 2 ottocinclus 2 zebra danios 3 1.5 inch long mosquitofish and 8 baby mosquitofish.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Be patient. Take good care of those FW fish and you will be all set for your first SW tank. Maybe start with a nano when you can afford it? Reefs are expensive to build and maintain for those of us with jobs.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #3

I was going to get the coralife biocube 29 and then i found out that the net volume of it was only 23 gallon not 29. On drsfostersmith.com i saw a 3 gallon saltwater aquarium kit for $50 but its not big enough for fish so how big of a tank should i start with and shouldd i get a kit or what?
Old 08-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

To start out with a limited budget, you have two choices, a kit or build it yourself. Unless you are handy with tools, the kit may be the way to go. A 9-10 gallon nano setup will get "your feet wet" and allow you to experiment with easier to keep fish and corals. By its size alone, you won't be spending as much as you would a larger system. Also, watch Craigslist. Lots of people have to move or just give up on the hobby.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I can just say my 2c maintaing a reef tank I'd very VERY expensive and since you don't have a job I wouldn't suggest getting a reef tank however you could upgrade your FW tanks to a 55g and make it planted I bought my 55g for 100 bucks with everything off of Craigslist than will be getting a nice light fixture off of amazon for my b day
Old 08-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #6

Th only reason I'm not upgrading to a biger tank is I'm breeding mosquitofish in one and I'm trying to make a few dollars off them. Oh and the 3gallon is actually $41.99 and it comes with a power filter and power compact flouroresent clamp on light.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
To start out with a limited budget, you have two choices, a kit or build it yourself. Unless you are handy with tools, the kit may be the way to go. A 9-10 gallon nano setup will get "your feet wet" and allow you to experiment with easier to keep fish and corals. By its size alone, you won't be spending as much as you would a larger system. Also, watch Craigslist. Lots of people have to move or just give up on the hobby.
I was going to make a tank i can't find any sheets of glass anywear
Old 08-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lowes and Home Depot carry glass I sheets that they cut do you were do u live
Old 08-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just try save the money up and start with fish only tank that way will be cheaper to run and can learn a lot before you go reef
Old 08-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #10

I think I'm going to get that 3 galon and upgrade the light and filter and just get a shrimp and hermit crab or something becase i also want a tank that i can have in my bedroom ( when we move my bedroom is going to be on the second story) and i want a small shrimp or cab breeding tank p.s. do you know if it will be hard to get the parementers right I'm going to us the petco natural sea water and live rock.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com