Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlgrey23 View Post
Just got some birthday money and it is all going to my tank. But I want to make sure I spend it wisely.

The only pieces of equipment I am still missing on my new tank is a Protein Skimmer and and RO machine.....

I can't get both right now....

Tank has only been cycled for a few days and I am 6 weeks away from adding the next set of critters. Better off getting the RO to save on trips to the store and lugging the water up three floors or installing an HOB skimmer to help maintain tank stability? Tank is a 40G breeder.
My vote is skimmer especially if adding more livestock that way your water is clean and livestock stay healthy and algae will be at minimal until you get the ro unit skimmer also helps add oxygen to the tank gettin ro unit doesnt aid in water quality other than allowing easier waterchanges you can still get ro water without having your own unit you cant skim water without skimmer

Old 12-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong View Post

My vote is skimmer especially if adding more livestock that way your water is clean and livestock stay healthy and algae will be at minimal until you get the ro unit skimmer also helps add oxygen to the tank gettin ro unit doesnt aid in water quality other than allowing easier waterchanges you can still get ro water without having your own unit you cant skim water without skimmer
+1
Not getting the unit doesn't change the kind of water you use now. It's just more convenient, which i'm all for, but at this point it's much less of a necessity.

And it was said that many people don't use skimmers, which is true. But the same can be said of the amount people who own and even use RO/DI.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:22 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Personally, I got a skimmer. I don't have an RODI system yet, but I have 2 LFS that sell RO water for less than 40cents/g. And their tanks are clean, so I trust their water. I've not had any problems. I think which you get first would depend on if you have an affordable access to RO water or not. If you don't have an LFS that has nice clean tanks that sells RO water at decent price, get the RO system. If you do have access to good RO water, get the skimmer.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:37 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Id say RO/DI Really, but how much do you pay per gal of RO Water? See how much you could save, by doing the math and see how much you would have saved by time Feb come round.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

I found a 4-stage portable RO/DI on eBay for under $70. I used it for nearly a year before I had to change the membrane and filters. I have a dual TDS meter although you really only need a single to measure the output. I mean, who really cares what the levels are going in since you cant control that. It's what's coming out that is more important.

Anyway, back on topic, you can find good deals on eBay or Amazon. Shop around and get the best for your $$$. You might find that you can get both.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #16
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Adding an RO/DI has been much more beneficial to my reef system than my oversized skimmer has been. The skimmer is great, but it isn't as necessary as you'd think. If the water is pristine going in, then you can keep it pretty clear with weekly water changes and controlling your feeding. Heck, if you could find a nice deal like was mentioned above, then maybe you could spend the remaining on a DIY algae turf scrubber or something else. Never know.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just to add another variable. I have not gotten a Power head yet because the output on my canister filter seems to be able to put quite the current into the tank. But I have yet to see anyones FTS without one tucked away somewhere.

Your advice and opinions have been great. What do you think about the possibility of getting a PH too?

Thanks

Just as an update. I am thinking of doing Skimmer ( I have cheap and easy access to RO from Culligan, and frankly I need the exercise lugging those 5 gallon bottle up the stairs ) a box of GFO to replace carbon in the filter and if you guys think I need it the Powerhead otherwise I will use the extra for a couple of fish around new years.

Cheers
Ari
Old 12-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #18
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Get a ro/di and a power head.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #19
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Get a ro/di and a power head.
Sorry, ment a smaller skimmer and a power head. Have you checked bulkreefsupply.com to look at them? They have the best deals around IMO. Korellia power heads are also the best for your money IMO.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Sorry, ment a smaller skimmer and a power head. Have you checked bulkreefsupply.com to look at them? They have the best deals around IMO. Korellia power heads are also the best for your money IMO.
You read my mind. that was exactly where and what I was looking at.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com