Monkey shrimp and pistol shrimp reef safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
Found a couple neat looking shrimp and the info I find on them says monitor or reef safe for these gusy. Anybody have any experience with either one?

You should not have much problem with either of them. The saron shrimp may only (rarely) be a concern with small dusters, sedentary polychaetes or other types of "fan" worms but should not bother corals or other mobile inverts. The pistol should also be fine and can be paired with a prawn/shrimp goby depending on species.

Cheers
Steve

don't forget the pistal shrimp is also one that could crack your tank! i have seen this happen! i myself would treat it asa very bad thing to have in the tank.

i didnt think pistols could break glass i thought they just made the popping sound by forcing water through some kind of special joint or something? sure your not thinking of mantis shrimp?

possum said:
i didnt think pistols could break glass i thought they just made the popping sound by forcing water through some kind of special joint or something? sure your not thinking of mantis shrimp?

I'm not sure, says here they are as powerful as a .22

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/arthropoda/shrimp/shrimp.htm

I think the shrimp breaking aquariums is more of a myth or hypothetical statement. I've heard a lot of people warn of mantis shrimp breaking aquariums but have never read of one doing so to somebody. However if it is possible it WILL happen to me.

While I have herd the same stories about pistol shrimp, I have yet to have it confirmed by the many I know that keep them. For the most part pistols are quite peaceful (depending on species) and should not be a concern, murphies law not withstanding.. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Yeah, think I'll skip the Saron and maybe get a pistol. They have a really cool looking bulleye one on liveaquaria.com but it says they won't form a relationship with Goby's. It says they won't harrass others but maybe other small shrimp. I'm assuming they will be peacefull towards 2 skunk and 2 fire shrimp and hopefully even 2 peppermints.

jamal-188 said:
I'm assuming they will be peacefull towards 2 skunk and 2 fire shrimp and hopefully even 2 peppermints.
As long as it is kept fed and happy you should not have a problem unless the other shrimp get overly "brave". The pistol can easily kill another shrimp even if larger.

Cheers
Steve

Yep the saron shrimp is really bad news. Also stay away from camel shrimp. They are bad news for zoo's as well. Hey that rhymed! :D

I have a tiger pistol shrimp paired symbiotically with an orange banded prawn goby. They took to each other immediately. I bought them both from www.marinedepotlive.com they are very interesting to watch! .22 caliber, personally I think it's more hype than reality. JMHO...

Back
Top Bottom