Montipora Capricornis help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

cj10488

Ok I was told by the LFS that this thing is ok under my halides.. now from what I am reading It states do not place it under high light as its medium light.. The frag is in the direct middle of the tank about half way to the top.. It is about centered inbetween both 2x250w MH bulbs.. Is this going to be too much light??? Should I place it lower in the tank.. I would say its about 2' from the MH bulbs..

TIA,
James

It is usually a good idea to start all corals at the bottom of the tank with MH lights when you first get them. As they acclimate to your lighting, they can then be moved up accordingly. This will help prevent bleaching if they came from a much lower intensity tank. If they came from a similarly lit tank and in somewhat the same relativite distance to the lighting, they may be fine.

I keep a few varieties of capricornus and all are located about midway in the tank (24" tank depth) with PC lighting...

Cheers
Steve

It came from under a 400w MH bulb about 24" away from it.. Someone had pushed it in the far back away from the lighting and they just recently moved it up to the front... I wouldnt think that it would be a problem but it kinda worries me as all books and websites state medium light and I would think that 2x250w Mh on a 55gal is high if not intense at 24" away from the bulb..

James

As steve stated, you should start all your corals on the bottom and maybe even under an overhang and over the course of a few weeks move them to their target spot in the tank. As for lighting.........My orange cap is about 5-8" from the waters furfac almost directly under a 175W MH, it would still be considered to be in the hot spot and I have had no issues with it, already fragged it twice and could do so again ;)

Ok that is Exactly what I needed to know.. The had them all directly under the halides when I picked them up yesterday so I wanted to make sure that they were telling the truth.. Thanks Guys

James

I have this coral under 2 x 400w MH about 8" under the light. As stated above stage the coral to the light buy starting far away allow it to adjust and start the move up.

Back
Top Bottom