Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-22-2008, 08:32 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
great news to hear cycling is almost done thanks for the help!

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:02 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

update on my progress - I did abut a 30% PWC, and my nitrates went down a bit but not as much as I had hoped. Its between 10-20ppm now ( was definatly 20 before I did the PWC) question being should I do more PWC to get it even lower or is it ok to add one or two fish for now?

- Melinda
Old 05-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Assuming your ammonia and nitrItes are at 0, you can SLOWLY start to add fish/inverts.

If it was me, I'd do several more large water changes to get the nitrates down as low as possible. With no fish in the tank, you don't have to worry about the water parameters shifting from doing say 50% water changes. If you have fish, then you have to worry about shifting the parameters too much and can only really do 20% (maybe 30%) at a time.

10-20ppm nitrates for FOWLR won't harm anything. But if you see yourself going Reef any time soon, you want that at least below 10ppm... preferable undetectable.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:19 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thanks for your input. Btw ammonia and nitite is at zero, PH is 8.3 approx, sp grav is between 1.022 and 1.023, and of course ( before the next water change) nitrate is between 10-20 ppm on the color card ( again using liquid drop kit and color cards to match it to)

I am sticking to FOWLR right now, I dont want to get inverts without having much experience with them.

I think i'm going to take another few gallons out and replace it to see if it helps.

I was thinking of adding 1 or two clowns and a few shrimp / snails. Should this be alright or should I stick with just one fish and a few snails / shrimp?

- Melinda
Old 05-25-2008, 03:42 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

A few gallons won't change much. Do another 30% or even 50% pwc, THEN add a pair of clowns, a couple of shrimp and a handful of snails. You may want to start with just adding a pair of clowns to start, waiting a week then adding a shrimp (what type?) and some snails.

Just keep taking small steps and you'll be fine (and so will your tank).
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

k makes sense. Ill do another large PWC ( aside from the 30% already) and get a pair of clowns in a few days. I imagine its safter to wait a few days rather than gonig to go get them say an hour after my PWC huh? LOL I know.. patience. I'm just excited my cycle's over.

After having the fish for a week or so I was thinking of adding peppermint shrimp / cleaner shrimp and a few Nassarius Snails Do you suggest One of each shrimp ( or one or the other ) and maybe 5-6 snails?

- Melinda
Old 05-25-2008, 04:39 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Clowns are pretty hardy damsels. I think it would ok to add one now. Theoretically you could have used a damsel to cycle your tank, but its not recommended and not nice to the fish. But it does work and the damsel fish can survive even that.
I always thought that 10-20 for a FOWLR was perfectly acceptable for nitrates. One of my LFS says anything under 40 is ok, but most LFS you have to take what they say with a grain of salt, because they just want to sell you stuff.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:53 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Just because a fish CAN survive a cycle does not mean that you should do it. Not all damsels survive a cycle either. Many lfs will sell you 4-6 damsels knowing that perhaps half of them will die during the cycle. Ammonia burns fish gills. Why do it when there are fishless methods available. Humans can also survive a certain amount of torture, but we have laws against that. 'off my soapbox now'

Nitrates under 40 are fine for fish. Nitrates are not generally a problem in FO until you get to the 80+ area. though that is NOT recommended

It took me quite a while to get my trates under 40 and down to level they are now (under 5).
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:13 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

By all means I was NOT recommeding using a fish for cycle. I was just trying to give a reason showing that it is probably ok to add a clown now that her cycle is done, the ammonia and nitrite are 0 and she did the first big PWC. She doesn't really need to wait to add a clown which is pretty hardy in comparison to other saltwater fish.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:35 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

:(

Well, I'm very depressed. I went out and bought two small clowns yesterday. One had died this morning The other, as of right now is fine, out swimming around ok, so far so good for it I think. I'm so upset.. I made sure water parameters were OK before I added them, I acclimated as suggested.. I tested the water again after I noticed the fish had been missing for a few hours and discovered it had died..under the rock. ammonia at 0, maybe just slightly above - so hard to tell, certainly not at 0.25ppm color though, nitrite at 0, and nitrate between 10-20ppm. specific grav between 1.022 and 1.023. Temp had risen to 80 with the light on 10am-10pm ( was about 78 this morning) whats worse.. I had got my two fish from Pet supplies plus, great people and very helpful, but apparently they have a live fish guarantee on freshwater fish only. blah. this is depressing... is it possible this guy died of natural causes? my water seems to be good.. I want to make sure it was nothing I did, I was so careful before putting these guys in..

- Melinda

Tags
cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com