Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-21-2008, 12:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
More cycling questions ;)

thanks for all your help so far!

Ive got a few questions concerning my cycle. First off I had live rock in the aquarium ( about 60 #) for about a week before I realized the ammonia wasn't climbing so I added some raw shrimp, and waited about 2 weeks ( tested it in the mean time). Now my ammonia is at approx 0.25 ppm, nitrite 0, and nitrate about 20 ppm. I'm guessing this means the cycling is getting close to being done? I tested my source water, nitrAte is between 0 and 5 as far as I can tell .. the color isnt exactly like the first or second ( using the master saltwater test kit ). Another question being should I wait and do a PWC and let the water go a bit longer or should I do one now?

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

When I cycled my tank I had the same exact issue and I did the same thing with adding the shrimp. Your LR is probably cured already and helping to keep the numbers from rising too high. Wait and see if your nitrites start to go up after the increase of ammonia. Or if your ammonia bottoms out to 0. Since you are getting 20ppm of nitrate that does mean there is a little cycle already. However, you need to wait for that ammonia to go down to 0. Is the "master saltwater test kit" stirps? If so stop using those and get liquid/test tube test kits. My advice would be do not do a pwc yet. Wait until the ammonia/nitrite is 0. I'm sure some of the others on here will not agree with the next part I am about to say but: like I mentioned I had a similar issue becaues my LR was very cured. I couldn't get the ammonia down lower than .25 and I never ever registered nitrite. After about 6-weeks of this issue, I bought some of that nitrifying bacteria in a bottle "SuperBac" I think it was called. I dumped that in my tank and it dropped my ammonia to 0. I then slowly started stocking and have not registered ammonia again.
But that stuff in the bottle is definitely not a cure all for cycle. It didnt work out so good in my 10gallon QT.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

my ammonia was at 0 before i put the shrimp in. Ive tested several times ( btw liquid test kit with drops and colored cards to test against) and have had no nitrite. I just took the shrimp out today ( was told to keep in there for approx 1 week) so I imagine it might take another week or so to go back to 0? And as for the nitrate sounds like just let it go for now until ammonia reaches 0 then do a PWC?

- Melinda
Old 05-21-2008, 01:45 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Thats sounds right to me.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:30 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Wait for the ammonia and nitrite to get to 0 and then do about a 30% PWC. Did you use cured LR to cycle your tank?

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Must have been. I had 15 lbs of LR from the LFS ( which that was probably cured ) I had gotten my 45 lb of LR from liveaquaria the day after. I had thought it was uncured, but my ammonia didnt go above 0 for a week, until I added the raw shrimp.

- Melinda
Old 05-21-2008, 03:54 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Have you removed what's left of the shrimp?

If so then wait till the ammonia and nitrite to get to 0 and then do about a 30% PWC. If not, net it out, and then wait until the ammonia and nitrite to get to 0 and then do about a 30% PWC
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yep, removed what was left of the shrimp. Happy to hear my cycling was going faster than I thought I imagine another week or so the ammonia should be down to zero..

- Melinda
Old 05-22-2008, 01:32 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Do you have nitrAtes present in the tank?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:14 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmel View Post
...Now my ammonia is at approx 0.25 ppm, nitrite 0, and nitrate about 20 ppm....
Quote:
I tested my source water, nitrAte is between 0 and 5 as far as I can tell .. the color isnt exactly like the first or second
Sounds like the cured rock you started with did its job. Since the nitrates in your tank are more than the concentration you're putting in with your water changes, it has to be coming from the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate conversion.

Once your ammonia drops back to 0, and assuming your nitrItes are at 0, sounds like you'll be good to go. Just make sure to do a couple large water changes to get the nitrates as low as possible. With nothing in the tank, there's no reason to do small ones. Shifts in water parameters aren't going to hurt anything at this stage. 30% minimum sounds good.

Tags
cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com