Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-09-2003, 07:51 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

More LR pics

Here are some more pics of the LR from Gulf-view. Die off has been killing me More clams are dieing ... only 2 left I think. I have found some dead bristle worms too. I moved the rock to my 29G tank to hopefully keep some smell down. The water in the container was getting yellow and nasty after 12 hours!

See anything left ....

http://home.insightbb.com/~ellisz/LR-1weeka.jpg
http://home.insightbb.com/~ellisz/LR-1weekb.jpg
http://home.insightbb.com/~ellisz/LR-1weekc.jpg
http://home.insightbb.com/~ellisz/LR-1weekd.jpg
http://home.insightbb.com/~ellisz/LR-1weeke.jpg

Old 11-09-2003, 07:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Pretty normal though. I have cured a couple batches of LR and every time I do it, the water goes yellow/brown and smells pretty bad. Just a natural process.

Hopefully it will be done soon enough and you can start enjoying it.

Old 11-09-2003, 08:03 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

My liveaquaria rock did not so this but I had it in my tank with filters running. I guess this helps. There is just a lot of stuff on this rock I would like to stay alive. The clams were getting nasty!
Old 11-09-2003, 08:09 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

BTW, anyone know info on why these clams stay attached to the rock? I have one that opens up on occasion and then shuts. The others I have not seen open. There mouth is towards the rock. The ones that have fell off and died left a tab or something attached to the rock.
Old 11-09-2003, 11:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I would also like to know about the clams mentioned above. I swear I've seen mine move...........subscribing!
Old 11-09-2003, 11:48 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I swear I've seen mine move
LOL, I have one that just cracks open but if you move in close it will shut. The one I had in my main tank came in this batch too but he apparently released from the rock. I placed him in the main tank since I hoped he would stay alive and he also has what I think might be a sea fan on his shell. He has since died and the crabs are cleaning up. Not sur if the sea fan will make it or not. Not really sure if/how they die anyway.

More reading ...
Old 11-10-2003, 09:53 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Are you doing water changes on the curing tank? Whats your ammonia levels? Unless you can keep the ammonia levels down to a reasonable level there will probably be a fair amount of dieoff. Doing water changes will prolong the cycle process to some degree but it will also vastly increase the amount of life that survives.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 10:18 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I have been doing water changes every day. The smell gets so bad that I can't wait for the every other day change. The last 2 changes have been 100% water changes! I had to change containers.

Last night was not too bad but I have some water ready for tonight...

I have also been taking the baster and blowing some junk off for the filter to pick up. I definately want this stuff to live. It is beautiful rock.

Are clams common on FL aquacultuered rock?
Old 11-10-2003, 11:03 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Running some activated carbon will help clear the water of the yellowish tint. Are you running your skimmer now? If not this will also help as I suspect it will pull a ton of DOC's out of the water.

Also when looking atthe rock I would suggest you physcially remove any dead or decaying elements by using a medium bristle brush on those parts of the rock. This will help remove whats causing the water to foul.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 11:58 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I have been trying to get as much dead stuff off as I can. Some stuff is hard to tell. There is a round ball thing that is in one of the pics that looked kind of fuzzy but I puffed some water on it and it looks better.

The tabs left over from the dead clams I had to cut off with a razor blade. I will check it out again tonight. The sad thing is with the water as nasty as it has been, the whole rock is a bit slimy. I am watching the clams right now to make sure they don't foul the water.

I am running a HOB filter right now so carbon is in use.

Tags
pics

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com