More questions from a Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pm64971

Aquarium Advice Activist
This seems like a dumb question, but I think I'm confused.
What is the difference between a FOWLR tank and a reef tank?

If I was to start a tank, what should I be testing the water for? (PH, specific gravity, ammonia, nitrates?)

Thanks,
Phil

Hello Phil,

The difference between a FOWLR tank and a reef tank is sessile animals mainly (attached to substrate and rock). Corals, anemones, sponges, clams are all things found in a reef tank making it a reef tank. Many fish aren't reef friendly and will eat corals etc... so therefore a FOWLR is the way to go if you would like to keep such fish. HTH.

Once I get my tank setup (filters, lights, water, LR, LS, etc.) I will want to cycle my tank. What do I need to start monitoring? I assume I would want to monitor these same things until the day the tank in torn down. Correct?

You should buy a book or two, preferably one from the Microcosm series by T.F.H.

A great one for beginners with many questions is: "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Fenner.

It is the first book I read on keeping a saltwater aquariums, it is good reading, and it goes into detail about FOWLR and reef tanks :wink:

Guaranteed most all of your questions will be answered in that book :wink:

Back
Top Bottom