Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-10-2010, 02:37 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by th08tu View Post
You will loose some, but what I usually do is put the sand in a bucket, about 5 pounds at a time, then put the bucket under a tap and let it run until it is clearer water coming out. Then empty the bucket and get another five pounds, and repeat. Not very fast, but I think you don't loose too much of it. As for the live part, I agree with melosu in that I am not sure how "live" it actually is so I woudn't worry too mcuh.
If your rinsing with tap water then any remaining "live" bacteria that may have been there will be gone. Hopefully you have a RO/DI unit inline with your tap to filter the water as well. If not that could expose the sand to whatever is in your tap water and it could leach into your tank over time (heavy metals, nitrates, ammonia,etc.).

Old 02-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krypt View Post
If your rinsing with tap water then any remaining "live" bacteria that may have been there will be gone. Hopefully you have a RO/DI unit inline with your tap to filter the water as well. If not that could expose the sand to whatever is in your tap water and it could leach into your tank over time (heavy metals, nitrates, ammonia,etc.).
alright thanks for the info.

Anyone got answers to my other questions? lol

Old 02-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilostnemo View Post
First off do i need to rinse my live sand off before i put into my tank?
Yes, you should rinse it to get whatever junk may be in there out.

Quote:
And i have a 30 gallon tank and a HOB filter that pushes 350 GPH is that enough?
For your size tank that will be ok for now, but as you get corals and other livestock that need higher flow, you'll probably need 1-2 more PH's.

Quote:
and It has activated charchol and a biowheel is there any other chemical i need to put in there? it has space for two extra inserts
My suggestion would be to consider getting rid of the HOB altogether, getting 2 powerheads rated at 350-450 gph pointed at each other from opposite sides of the tank, and getting about 40lbs of live rock to use as your biofilter. Also getting a protien skimmer is a must have if your getting corals. They need very clean and steady water parameters to flourish.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:57 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krypt View Post
My suggestion would be to consider getting rid of the HOB altogether, getting 2 powerheads rated at 350-450 gph pointed at each other from opposite sides of the tank, and getting about 40lbs of live rock to use as your biofilter. Also getting a protien skimmer is a must have if your getting corals. They need very clean and steady water parameters to flourish.
thanks for more answers!! and for the hob its the only choice i have as of now. so thats why i was asking about the media
Old 02-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #15
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
how could i exactly rinse it out without losing alot of it?
Rinse with Sw and you wont lose much. FW will kill the nitrifying bacteria supposedly if there is any there.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:36 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
Rinse with Sw and you wont lose much. FW will kill the nitrifying bacteria supposedly if there is any there.
I dont think there will be any left, it says to take it off the shelf in may so, i its probably all dead.. With the dead shrimp to jump start the cycle could i put it in the filter and it decompose even quicker?
Old 02-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I dont think there will be any left, it says to take it off the shelf in may so, i its probably all dead.. With the dead shrimp to jump start the cycle could i put it in the filter and it decompose even quicker?
I wouldn't put it in the filter. Could break apart, maybe get caught in the props, or just get shredded and shot into the tank in tiny bits. All those would be bad.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com