More Questions (new 75 gal tank)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottbaty

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My head is spinning from reading so much today. There are differing opinions on everything. So I figured I would ask opinions on a couple of things.

1. Can I use live rock to help cycle the tank or should I wait to add until it has cycled?

2. How deep should I have the substrate? I am planning on a reef tank with a few fish. (75 gal tank) I am using aragonite for my substrate.

3. Should I start my protein skimmer day one or wait till tank cycles?

4. Do I do partial water changes during the initial cycling? (First 30 days)

Thanks in advance.

Scott

There is no set amount of time for a tank to cycle. In general add all your live rock and then once it is cured the tank will be cycled. This could be a week with cured rock that is transported completely submerged, or two months or more with uncured rock.

I have about an inch of substrate in my display. I prefer a relatively fine sand that won't trap debris.

You can run the skimmer in the beginning, but depending on the rock you could get A LOT of skimmate and it would probably be better to wait until you are cured/cycled and do your first big water change (to get the nitrate down).

1) You can cycle your tank and cure your LR at the same time. Depending on how live the rock is you might not see too much of an ammonia spike.

2) Same as Fishguy

3) I would suggest starting up now as there is usually a break in period of a few weeks. By the time your cycle is over your skimmer will be in full swing.

4) Dont do any PWC`s till the cycle is done. Then do a 40-50% PWC to dilute the excessive nutrients and then regularly scheduled PWC`s after that.

I would also like to suggest that you read our Sw articles in the site articles section. There are good articles on cycling and curing rock in there as well as many other subects. BTW welcome to AA

Back
Top Bottom