More Return than Drainage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JsQuid

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it bad to have more return than drain? For example, if the water level is higher than the overflow box.. Would this be bad or is it okay?

Thats 2 different things. First, if your return has more flow than your overflow can handle, you will slowly pump out your sump's return section until it starts to suck air. And by slowly, I mean in a few minutes.
However, your tank's level MUST be higher than the overflow in order for the water to "flow" into it. How much is a question of total flow, and overflow type.
But if your sump is not sucking air and pumping out the sump faster than the overflow can refill the sump...you're OK.

Okay thanks ! That helped clear things up a bit!

Is it bad to have more return than drain? For example, if the water level is higher than the overflow box.. Would this be bad or is it okay?

Um... No, it's not ok. If your are returning water faster than you are draining it you WILL end up with a burnt up return pump, a big wet mess all over your floor or both.

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to say and 2 different people have given you proper answers depending on either version of the possible question.

As long as you have the correct diameter pipe for the flow rating of your pump there shouldn't be an issue. It all depends on what the diameter of your overflow pipe is versus the type of pump you have. With those bits of information given we can give you some more help.

If your pump is pushing water faster than the overflow can handle it you will find out rather quickly that it's insufficient.

However, if you have the proper diameter pipe for your drain then everything is okay. The higher the water level the faster the water will be pushed through it.

Yeah everything is okay. It is a a 1" inch drain, which a 3/4" return. I was just curious of the possibilities when I hook it up in a few days.

One thing you will absolutely want to do is place a PVC gate valve (not ball valve) in the 3/4" return line. That way, if you happen to have a pump that moves more than the drain can handle, you can reduce & fine-tune the return flow....... otherwise you will have a flooded tank & very wet floor. You want to place the valve on the output side of the pump (between pump & tank), not on the input side of the pump. Restricting the outflow is OK, restricting the inflow is very bad for the pump..... causes sucking and cavitation, which is detrimental to the motor & impeller.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom