More set-up questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdwire

Aquarium Advice Regular
Currently setting up a 55G FOwLR and hope to move quickly, after 6 months or so, to a Reef. The tank is still cycling (Ammonia-0.25, NO3- 5, NO4-0.1) and I have a few questions before I begin to put in live stock.

40# of FA LR and 40# of base rock that have been in since 5/9
Penguin 1140 PH (300GPH)
AquaClear HOB (300PH)- Filter media still in basket, no carbon
AquaC Remora HOB with Maxijet 1200- started last night
Substrate 55# of CarbiSea Aragonite
Picture of tank included as you guys/gals often seem to notice stuff from the picutures that I do not think to add.

Questions:
1) When do I add a clean up crew and what suggestions would you have for what it should contain? I was planning on ordering a standard 55Gal clean up crew package from Marine Depot.
2) Can I get rid of the AquaClear and filter media? I am worried that with only 40# of LR that this will not be enough of a filter. Will this mess up the cycling process if I remove the filter media as it has been there since I started cycling 3 weeks ago?
3) Should I do anything with my substrate now to set up for conversion to reef later

Thanks for the help/suggestions.

1) When do I add a clean up crew and what suggestions would you have for what it should contain? I was planning on ordering a standard 55Gal clean up crew package from Marine Depot.

I would wait until the tank is cycled or just about to end. Then you will have something in there for them to munch on.

2) Can I get rid of the AquaClear and filter media? I am worried that with only 40# of LR that this will not be enough of a filter. Will this mess up the cycling process if I remove the filter media as it has been there since I started cycling 3 weeks ago?

You are still early in the game and I dont think it would hurt to get rid of the media that is in the filter and just use it for more flow. (Squeeze out the sponge in the tank so that any bacteria will settle on your rocks and sand). It won't hurt anything. Once your tank cycles, the base rock will be on it's way to being LR and it will make you have about 1.5 lbs per gal. :mrgreen:

3) Should I do anything with my substrate now to set up for conversion to reef later

Not realy, if you can though, go to the LFS and ask to get a couple pounds of LS out of one of their running systems. If you can't, get a couple more pieces of LR or take some of what you have, and place them in the sand..the critters will migrate to it and make you have LS after a while.

Keep up the good work and sit back and relax, it will be a few more weeks until it is ready..Make sure you are testing for ammoia and nitrites. If you haven't put anything in it yet, get a raw shrimp from the supermarket and put it in there...

For more info, check this out..

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

Also, BTW, no need to start skimming yet..there is nothing to skim...Let it mature a while first...When you start stocking, then the skimmer will come in handy...

I agree with the above with one possible suggestion. 55 lbs is nowhere near enough to give you a functioning DSB. According to the calculator on the site, you would need 132 lbs of sand to achieve a 4" depth. Which CaribSea product are you using...Aragamax, Seaflor Special Grade, ect...? I think the DSB would be a good addition if you intend to make the transition to a reef later although you don't have to do it immediately.

Which CaribSea product are you using...Aragamax, Seaflor Special Grade, ect...?

I am using Seaflor Special Grade. If I add another 90# of this will this be a suffcient DSB.

Another follow-up question. Can I get rid of the AquaClear altogether? With the Penguin PH and the Maxijet on the skimmer this will provide a flow of 600gph. I would like to use on my quarrantine tank.

Any suggestions on the clean up crew?

Red legged hermits, astraea snails... I like emrald crabs ... they are not really cleaners but cool... I was thinking of Eel Gobies to dig in the sand....but I would stay away from stars...they eat the critters in the DSB that you want to thrive...

I have a listing of my livestock... fish, invert, and cleaners...

http://www.marks-aquaticlife.com/specs.html

Yeah, I think you'd be OK dumping the Aquaclear. 600 gph is at the bottom of the curve, but you can add another PH later. I'd probably add another MaxiJet...a 900 or maybe even a 1200.

Other clean up critters you can get are turbo, nassirus, nerite, cerith snails, fighting conch, cucumber(check with us on species before you buy a colorful one), serpent stars(sand bed safe).

Brian

Back
Top Bottom