mosquito larvae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering, this being mosquito season and all, and the fish love
the larvae, could you "vitamin enrich" the larvae with selcon or zoecon?
Method would be to just put a few drops in the water with the larvae for a few hours.....

Always thinking of new things..just trying to figure out if they will work first ;)

I'm not sure....but I would think at the very least it would put a coating on the larvae. Where are you gonna get the larvae?

All I have to do is put a clean bucket of water outside for a week or so and it will be there. I did this last summer, then netted the larvae, rinsed them in clean water again and fed my discus..they loved it.

Wow! Never thought of that! It would be kind of satisfying to pay back these airborne pests by feeding them to my fish!

eek! I just had a thought... some areas (at least around here because of the west nile virus scare) occasionaly "spray" for mosquitos that specificly target the larve... I'd be sure your area doesn't conduct this practice before trying it.

anyone know anything about the west nile virus? could a mosquito larve cary a virus and transfer it to our fish this way? I don't mean to scare anyone who's doing this, I'm asking because I geniunly don't know.

From what I've just read you are correct. Fish are generaly not affected by the virus, however, this site does warn that some anti-larval pesticides can be harmful to some fish. These pesticides are likely used in urban areas where there's aren't as many natural bodies of standing water.

West Nile & Mosquito Larvae

From what I know, West Nile is transmitted to mosquitos from Birds (maybe other animals also) due to their bite. After that a mosquito can transmited the virus to other animals. Mosquito Larvae would be free of the WestNile Virus.

Back
Top Bottom