Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-21-2007, 06:07 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

i just got everything up and running and where i would like it to be. now i noticed that the water level in the 2nd chamber is about 50%, and the 3rd chamber is almost empty. the first chamber is full and i can see allot of flow in it. does that mean some or all of the filters are in need of change??

Old 01-21-2007, 08:11 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hmm....not sure about the filter issue. I thought I would chime in with what I have mine going into. Mine is a 5stage 100gpd and I have it going into my fish room and it fills a 32g trashcan which I have a heater and a circ pump in. I have a drain pump that I drop in when I need to fill buckets and mix saltwater up. Works great!

All of these units require a certain amount of water pressure to work properly so if you don't have at least 40psi I think (someone correct me) you wont get the water to go through the RO membrane and you wont have the filtered water you think you do.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:51 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

i use my garden hose for water and the pressure appears to be greater than 40 psi, i guess i need a pressure gauge to be sure. i just replaced the micron filter and the carbon filter and the unit completely filled in all three chambers, but the flow is still painfully slow. i was only able to get about 10 gallons since 11 am. i did not replace the di filter yet, but i will tommorow after i buy a gauge to make sure the pressure isnt the problem.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:18 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Like I said I'm not sure what the pressure is supposed to be but I know it has to be a decent amount of pressure. I can tell you that mine is "painfully" slow too but that is how these filters work. It takes a lot of pressure to push the water through that RO membrane. I usually get about 15-20g in 8 hours. I try not to let it run more then that because I have, more then once, forgot to turn it off and have had very precious RO/DI water running all over my basement floor.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:21 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
As I said in the earlier post, you really need about 50psi. If you're below 40psi, you need a booster pump to get decent performance from the unit. Having two pressure gauges (see pics) will tell you when you need to change filters. A TDS meter ($40 or so) will alert you when to change RO membranes or DI cartridges. A hydraulic shut off coupled with a float valve in the reservoir will solve the turning it on and off. A Rubbermaid Brute trash can makes an excellent container. If you're worried about an overflow, put an emergency drain right at the top of the container and run it either outside or tee it into a drain line under the house. I can send you some pics of how all this is set up if you are interested in doing any of this. You also should rig a backflush valve on your unit so you can backflush the membrane once in a while...it'll last longer and work better.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:55 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I have a flush valve on my unit it came with one I usually let it flush for 15-20 minutes once a week or so. I've thought about putting something on mine to have it shut off but I have no idea where to start with that! Some help would be great!!
Old 01-22-2007, 08:45 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I'll get some pics together...maybe do an article on it. You only need to backflush for about 30-45 seconds. There's no harm in running it longer though.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:01 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

i went ahead and changed the carbon and micron filters and it filled up instantly, i got about 20 gallons in 7 hours. so much for the guys claim of "only 50 gallons of use". im gonna change the di filter, then i'll buy a tds meter. this crap sure adds up rather quick, i cant imagine how expensive keeping a sw tank used to be...

Tags
mounting, ro/di

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com