Moveing to a 2nd floor apartment w/ new 160 gal tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eddiedellz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im moveing to a 2nd floor apartment and in nervouse about the floor supporting the tank should i worry is there anythign i could do? percautions i should take? or should i downgrade to a smaller tank that would suck :T

I live in a second floor apt. I have a 46,40, and 30 gal tanks. I would be worried about a 160 gal tank. I have no knowledge about floor holding it. I would just be worried about the floor or that much water if the tank ever broke. I would worry about the person underneath me. If it was just my own house then I wouldn't be worried. I guess I didn't answer your question. I just gave you my thoughts.

Make sure your lease doesnt specify tank volume.

Your tank will weight a little under 1400lbs when full ( thats without LR ). I wouldnt put it in the middle of the floor, next to a load bearing wall is your best bet.

Hey,
I'm in a similar situation. I live on the 3rd floor of a new apartment block and am about to move my 135gallon in. I had differing opinions as well, some said it would be fine, others said it might cause problems. I asked the guy at my LFS and he said that he lived on the 2nd floor of an apartment with a 125 gallon with no problems.
I guess if you hear creeking and snapping noises then youre in trouble!

Back
Top Bottom