Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-23-2008, 09:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisel View Post
After initial setup of the RO unit, you are supposed to toss out the first 40 - 50 gallons. Did you do that?
argh - the booklet said just let it run down the drain for two minutes the first time (and 15 min when it has been sitting for a while).

as it is i'm crying for all the water that's going down the drain right now - four gallons of waste for every gallon of RO??? i need to go hug a tree.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:29 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

If you are on "city" water you could always channel that waste water to your garden or your lawn. No sense in sending it down the drain. Mine goes out to the back yard.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:45 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

OK I've got about 40 gallons of RO so far. My living room is filling up with buckets and bins of water! How much water do I need? This is for a 55G tank w/ 25G sump and 8G top off. So 88G minus 110 lbs of live rock and 80 lbs of sand. Is 60G enough?? I have no idea how much water the sand and rock will displace.

And I'm thinking that I'll put 20 lbs of sand in, then fill it half way with water, then place the rock, then add the last 60 lbs of sand and fill it up with water. Does that work? Is the water going to get so cloudy that I can't see where I'm aquascaping? Any aquascaping pearls of wisdom from the BTDTs?

Thanks as always!
Old 09-26-2008, 06:24 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Well from recent experience the water will get very cloudy very quickly and placing your rock will be tough. I still suggest keeping some of the water from the tank and using it to fill the tank with and use what you have made to finish filling and the for PWCs.

It took me a few days to get all my rock in the tank just because I couldn't see what I was doing. Have a look at my thread for pics of the process.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:26 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

what a day

Well, the tank is here. What a day! It took us the better part of the day but we moved the 55 gallon tank w/ 20G sump and live rock and four fish and they're in their new place and all hooked up. The water is totally cloudy and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the rock won't have much die off. What can I expect from now on? How long will the water stay cloudy? Will I get some sort of bloom? The rock is totally cured. Thank you everyone for your excellent advice!!
Old 09-30-2008, 04:04 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

How long the water stays cloudy depends on your filtration and flow in the tank. When I set my 120 up (second time) I had it cleared up in less then 12 hours. I have lot of flow and a lot of filtration with various sumps.

I would test the ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels and also keep an eye on the PH. You may want to have some SW ready for PWCs. I expect that you are going to need to do several over the next few weeks to keep things happy.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:04 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Oh yeah...and post some pics!! We love to see tanks!
Old 10-07-2008, 10:14 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here you go! If I wanted to scrape all that coralline off the back wall, what's the best way not to make a big mess in the tank?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fish TK front view 1.sm.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	15546  
Old 10-07-2008, 02:07 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

It looks awesome! Great job on the aquascaping!

Well it would have been a lot easier to do it before you put the rock in there. When I want to remove coraline from the glass I use a razor blade.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:23 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

I started doing it when the tank was empty but then I was worried about scratching the glass so I waited until the tank was full. I cleaned off one corner with a razor blade but the little pieces sank to the bottom and then just sat there, on top of the substrate, and no one in my cleaning crew seems to want to eat them. Should I scrape it all at once, let it settle, and then vaccuum the surface of the substrate carefully? I don't want to suck up any of the sand...

Thanks for the aquascaping compliment. I'm pretty happy with it considering it was my first time. The pieces were big so it wasn't too difficult. The horizontal piece you see on the left side is white because it is upside down from how it was in the previous setup. How long do you think it will take for the coralline to cover? A couple months?

Tags
moving, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com