Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-19-2008, 10:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

moving a full tank

I'm thinking about buying an established 55G SW Oceanic tank on craigslist with 110 lbs live rock, a 3" sandbed, 25G sump, stand, filters, etc. How on earth would I move it from its current location to my house???

Does the live rock need to stay submerged or could it be covered with wet towels for a 45 min drive? I'm having a hard time figuring out the logistics here. The tank and stand alone are going to be quite heavy, let alone when you add 110 lbs rock and prob. 150 lbs sand...

Old 09-19-2008, 11:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

The LR will be fine in buckets covered in wet newspaper (thats how the online LFS ship it). You will have die off and will need to cure it again but shouldn't take the full couple weeks if it is only out for a few hours. Same thing applies to the sand.

You can move the water via bucket too, but I would suggest just dumping it and starting over, you will need to cure the rock again anyway.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:50 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I would keep the LR in buckets and replace the sane. When you move, the sand could potentially get stirred up and there is no telling what kind of nasties will pollute the tank.
How long will this move take?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

If you keep the LR in buckets or coolers of SW you`ll probably have no die off and you`ll be OK. As Scott said get new sand. Just take the tank and transport everything to where it`s going.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Yes, dump the sand and get new sand. The rock will be fine covered in wet towels for a 45 minute drive, but putting it in tubs with tank water is better. You want to empty the tank as much as possible before moving it. Keep it level during the move to prevent stressing it. If you can strap it on a piece of plywood that would be the best way to move it.
Are you getting any livestock too?
You should have prepared salt mix at home waiting to add to the tank as soon as you get it set up again.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
Are you getting any livestock too?
You should have prepared salt mix at home waiting to add to the tank as soon as you get it set up again.
Just three clowns and a chromis and a cleaning crew. I figured I can put the clowns in my existing tank with the three clowns that I inherited with that tank (what are the odds?) and I'll be awash in clowns until I can get them to the LFS for store credit. At some point I'll post a livestock list for feedback, I haven't gotten that far yet.

I'm picking up an RO unit today so I can have the replacement water ready.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

So my new RO unit is running and I'm about 20 gallons toward the 60 I need to have ready before Sunday. I picked up some new sand. Now I'm wondering what is the best way to set up the new tank.

If I set up the empty tank in its new place, should I add the sand first or the live rock? I went to the LFS the other day and got two completely answers from two employees. Once said put in the rock alone and let it sit for a couple days then vaccuum the bottom and add the sand. The other said add the sand first, then rock, then water. Help.

The differing opinions out there on everything from A to Z are killing me!
Old 09-23-2008, 04:00 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Personally, I add the rock first for 2 reasons:
1. It is secure on the glass
2. You don't have to worry about water displacement
I then add the water and then the sand. The reason I add the sand last is to avoid air pockets in the sand. You can always turkey baste/or ph the sand off the rock.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:21 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieNY View Post
So my new RO unit is running and I'm about 20 gallons toward the 60 I need to have ready before Sunday.
After initial setup of the RO unit, you are supposed to toss out the first 40 - 50 gallons. Did you do that?
Old 09-23-2008, 04:47 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Great advice so far. I would go a step further and get everything out of the tank before moving it. Don't leave anything in the tank when you go to move it.

New sand is a great idea and I'm glad you decided to go that way. I personally don't like putting the rock directly on the glass. Too many pressure points on the bottom for my liking.

I also agree with Mike and the others about keeping the LR in water during transport. I would also use some of the water you bring with you to fill the tank up. After you have everything in the tank then you can start doing frequent PWCs to keep the water balanced.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moving, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com