Moving a marine tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryan1980

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi
I'm buying a marine tank tomorrow,it's set up and has 2 clowns a yellow head jaw fish,hermit crab 2 bangai and a skunk shrimp
It's 175 litres and I'm bringing it 20 miles to my house,I've mixed some saltwater up already and had it maturing for 4 days.
Does it have to be at the same specific gravity as the water I'm saving from the tank?
Does anyone have any tips on moving the tank and inhabitants ?
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Does this tank have any LR in it? If so you`ll need to put it in coolers with wet paper on top or in buckets of SW if you have the buckets. The fish will need to go in buckets also. From all the moving your tank water will disturb the sand bed and it will be quite nasty. I would get some new sand and rinse it out real good several times. When you get the tank home rinse it out really good and add the sand and then the water and then the rock. Soon you should be able to add the fish provided you rinsed the sand out really good. That`s how I did it. I`m sure others will tell you their way.

Hi
I'm buying a marine tank tomorrow,it's set up and has 2 clowns a yellow head jaw fish,hermit crab 2 bangai and a skunk shrimp
It's 175 litres and I'm bringing it 20 miles to my house,I've mixed some saltwater up already and had it maturing for 4 days.
Does it have to be at the same specific gravity as the water I'm saving from the tank?
Does anyone have any tips on moving the tank and inhabitants ?
Thanks in advance
Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

You could get all the fish and inverts in 1 5g bucket depending the size of the clowns and the bangii's just be sure to use a cover

live rock needs to stay wet to stay live so buckets water and rock or soaked news papers wrapped around rock

you really don't need to save any tank water why risk bringing over phosphates and nitrates ect
just be sure your water you mixed is in 1.025 range

when re-acclimating be sure to do a good drip process with the fish
shrimp will need a longer acclimation time as they are extremely sensitive to sudden change

hermits can just be added no acclimation needed
as for your sand I would suggest new sand as the old sand holds all the nasty s that could kill your stock

or go bare bottom till you get sand some even prefer bare bottom , sand can be added later on using a 3 or 4 inch diameter pvc pipe to add it in with it will help keep down the sand storm and cloudiness ,

don't rush take your time be prepared to work till it's done , It took me over 12hrs when I did my transfer

if you have any questions during your transfer post your question someone should be able to help you . I should be around tomorrow afternoon .

good luck

don't forget picts as it helps you see your progress overtime(y)

Thanks a lot for all the advice, I decided to use the old water and sand,I ended up just adding 20 percent new water. Apart from turning off the aqua one marisys it over flowing and ending up with about 20 litres of water all over my carpet it all went well and the fish look happy,the Kenya trees are sulking,I'm going to test for ammonia and nitrate tomorrow and do a water change if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom