Moving a Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Social_d87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How would i go about moving a 35 gallon tank with 35 pounds live rock assorted corals, 2 anemones, and 4 fish to a new house about 30 min. away? Would i have to cycle the tank allover again. Please need help. Thank you all so much

How would i go about moving a 35 gallon tank with 35 pounds live rock assorted corals, 2 anemones, and 4 fish to a new house about 30 min. away? Would i have to cycle the tank allover again. Please need help. Thank you all so much
put the live rock and corals in buckets Drain 80% of the tank load up the tank then the stand and your buckets drive to the new location and set it back up . Make sure you have some saltwater made up already at the new house. With it being only a 35 gallon you should be able to carry the tank when its 20% full with no rock in it with a little help and some muscle. Whatever water you have in your buckets for transporting the corals and rock you can still use. I don't see any reason it would cause a cycle since you are just transporting Make it as quick as possible to minimize stress.

I agree with Fiji, except the leaving 20% of the water in the tank. I would not want to transport a tank with any water in it. Also, if you have sand, put that in a bucket with some water, but before re-adding it, rinse the crap out of it. I actually used fw to rinse my sand when I reused it. I was more concerned with getting out all the accumulated crap than keeping it "live".

Mix up 10 - 15 gallons of saltwater mix at new location, PH and heater for 24 hours. On the home front - syphon out 4 buckets 1/2 full each. Take out all sessile inverts and store in a bucket or two. Then begin removing LR and placing it into 2 buckets. Now pull out rocks with anemones and place them in a bucket. Cover everything. Now drain out water into buckets until fish have hard time swimming. Catch all fish and place in a bucket and put a lid on it also. Now pick all mobile inverts (snails, hermits, shrimp etc) and place in there own bucket. Now tank substate can be removed. You might as well flush it because you will have a cycle. Always remove all weight from a tank before moving it. Now go to new location and begin setting up. Use all old water first then new. Watch levels as you will get a short cycle with spikes in NH3, NO3, & NO2.

OK i got how to transport everything so far, with the sand maybe rinse it maybe throw it away what do you guys think would be better? Ok well if i throw it away and pick up some new sand maybe get some black sand anyways i know its going to cause a sand storm should i add the sand and let it settle for a day before adding all live stuff? like putting powerheads and heaters in the rubermaid tubs? Thats really my only dilemma now.

Back
Top Bottom