Moving a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

visuvius

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys, quick question. I'm moving a 100 gallon tank tomorrow and I found a guy on craiglist that does this as I can't since one I have no idea how to cut the PVC pipe and reattach it and two I simply don't have a truck and the time to move it.

Anyhow, my question is, the first time I moved the tank to another location, the guy I went through saved half of the water and then I had to buy another about 60 gallons. At the time, the tank was in good condition and the water was salvageable.

This time however, the tanks water has not been changed in 3 months (don't worry no animals, just live rock). The guy I'm going through now recommends we just start fresh and use hose water with a dechlorinator to start off. Does this sound like a horrible idea? I've never used hose water, even to start the tank off. I obviously wouldn't put any animals in the tank and let it cycle, but can I use hose water to fill up the tank initially?

This guy says yes. It would be a real help if I could use it since we wouldn't have to lug around all of the water and I would save a bunch of money buying it at the fish store. Please let me know, thanks.

two options depending on how nasty the rock is. If he hasnt changed water, im guessing there is tons of algae.

My suggestion:
Dump the tank, take it home dry, dry the rock out and completely recycle it

Alternative:
Dump the tank, take it home dry, put the rock in a bunch of 5g buckets with wet newspaper over it. Should be fine for a short-moderate trip, you will get some die off and a small cycle, but no big deal. Refill the tank with all new water when you get home.

Do not use hose water, even with dechor, and if thats what he was doing, I would definitely dry that rock out. I'm sure there is a bunch of nasty algae on there you don't want.

Well I am full starting from scratch. I will be pulling those rocks and scrubbing them one by one as yes there was a hair algae problem. Also, I can wait to put the rocks in, like you said I'll let them dry after I scrub.

I just was hoping using chlorinated tap water would be okay as it would save me a lot of hassle and money. I'm in no rush to get livestock in there.

I wish dechorinated tap was a viable option, but in the long run it will probably end up costing you more and can hurt your livestock. An RO/DI unit is the second best thing you could ever buy for your tank. First being a refractometer.

I wouldn't use hose water. There is a lot more in there besides chlorine that you don't want in your tank. Buy a ro/di unit off ebay. They are not all that expensive and then it will filter the hose water. A small investment that is worth the price with out a doubt. Then you don't have to buy water any more either. you can just mix your own. With a tank that size it will pay for itself.

bulkreefsupply has good prices too. Sometimes non-fish sites have real good deals too, don't let anyone tell you they are different. Its all pretty much the exact same. I got my first one from an army surplus store.

Oh I definitely plan on getting a RO/DI unit installed in my apartment but the move is going down TODAY and I don't have any of that set up. I need something like 130 gallons of saltwater today!

Anyhow, I found another guy that can get 150 gallons of ocean water. That'll work right?

I wouldnt even worry about water yet. If its only LR and you are letting it dry out to re-cycle it, you shouldn't need water yet. Just bring the tank home clean everything and let the rock sit out for a few days. You can install the RO/DI while you wait.

I know the feeling of wanting to get everything done and ready, but take your time man. As someone who has rushed through these sorts of things several times, I have learned my lesson. Better to just do it right once and be happy, then rush and have to tweak it constantly.

ocean water could work, as long as it isnt from the gulf. :(

Then cover the tank with a blanket and give it a blackout for a week.

Back
Top Bottom