Moving Apartments - Need Advice, Tips, Tricks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raja

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I am moving apartments this week. Both apartments are located in the same city about a 2 minute drive apart. I have a 35Gallon Tank with 40# of LR and 3 fish (Maroon Gold Striped Clownfish, True Perc Clownfish, Royal Gramma) a LTA and a few snails + the odd crab. As I am sure most of you are aware, moving can be stressfull on humans letalone on fishy counterparts. I was hoping the community could provide me with some advice as to how to have a smooth move.

Thanks!

Tip
1.have extra salt water mixed at least 24 hours in advanced and ready at the new place.
2. use battery powered air pumps/stone for fish and inverts.
3. buy lots of buckets and containers. dont fill the containers with too much water because it can be splashed around while in your car, plus it will be heavy.
4. make sure your live rock is in salt water to minimize die off. Rock + water= very heavy. Seperate rocks into multiple containers. So you might want to use a dolly or a skate board.
5. seperate the rocks, fish, and inverts

we just moved, and had one month in between our current house and the one we owned before. The fish had to be moved twice! we lost nothing. Here is what we did. We went out and got some of those rubber made garbage pails, the really strong ones (there great for mixing up your salt water also!) We moved every bit of the water, and stuck the rock in the buckets with the water. The snails, and crabs and fish were bagged up. When we got where we were going we started bailing the water back in, and added the fish, and lr, and inverts, and the tank looked like hell, but by morning, it was fine. There's not much to it except manpower. Good luck.....oh and our tank did go through a mini cycle, but it only lasted a few days, and the numbers didn't get too high.

Back
Top Bottom