Moving aquairum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattmku

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm thinking about moving my aquarium at home about 5 hours away to where i attend college. I've read a few articles on the subject and am still wondering if you would have to cycle the tank before placing the inhabitants back in the tank.

I have a 20 gallon tank with 20 lbs live rock. I plan on replacing cc with live sand when i move and also replacing with new saltwater... anyone have experience with this?

you will likely have another cycle, not so much from replacing the water, but from replacing your substrate. Your Substrate and LR are your primary bio-filter sources. Your LR will be pretty healthy so it should be a short/soft cycle, but completely chaing out your substrate will probably give you a cycle.

I just had a thought... do you have a sump?

if you do, you can put the sand you plan on using at the new location in the sump for a couple weeks and let the bacteria build up in the sand some. that should minimize the chances of a cycle after the move.

no sump, i'm running a canister filter. What i think I may do is let my buddy keep my fish and shrimp for a few weeks while i make sure the tank has cycled and then move them up.

Back
Top Bottom