Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
moving coral from original platform

when i purchased my polyp's and other corals they are glued to a type of concrete mortar and my ? is can you remove them with out killing them, i have a 30 gallon coral and fish tank nothing fancy but always like to check my options

millerclife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Welcome, thanks for joining us!

[CENTER]Please don't forget about the toxins in some corals (like zoas and palythoas)
Latest aquarium vlog:
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Hiya! Welcome to the forum!

I usually either place the frag with it's plug in some rocks or i glue it onto a small piece of rock rubble so I can move it when i need to. Not sure if taking it off the plug will work, I suppose it has to as some people glue their corals directly to their live rock.
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA! We're glad you found us.

I have moved your thread to the SW and Reef- Getting Started section. This should help you get more responses.

I never remove corals from a frag plug. Eventually, they will grow over the plug and you won't even know it's there.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion
Be thankful for the plug. I've ordered some frags that had the smallest, thinest piece of rock ever...to the point where when I touched it it fell apart. Tried using epoxy to put it on a piece of rubble, but it is a softie so it didn't stick. Going to get some gel to stick it to something.

I believe you can remove them from the plugs as I have read that there are people that prefer the rubble. I get it as the plugs can be awful looking. But I'm taking it as I can, I'd rather them grow over it then stress them out putting them on a more attractive piece of rock.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

coral, moving

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com