Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-15-2015, 12:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Moving fish from SW to FW?

So here's the situation I'm in, I'm getting Green Spotted Puffers tomorrow (they are brackish fish in their early years; need to be moved to full marine when older) and my lfs keeps the juveniles in full saltwater. I've cycled my tank in freshwater and plan to eventually bring the salinity level to ~1.006 (recommended for juvenile GSP's).

Will I be ok drip acclimating them to freshwater? If so, how long should I spend doing it? I could potentially bring my salinity level to 1.002 by tomorrow but I'm not even sure if that's worth it because I wanted to add Tetra SafeStart to make sure the GSP's don't overrun my filters bioload (the salt may kill the SafeStart bacteria).

Please offer your advice!

Old 09-15-2015, 06:39 AM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Don't drip acclimate them into freshwater. When changing a fish like this over into a different salinity it needs to be gradual and over time, not all at once. That is most likely going to kill it.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:07 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Yes That`s what is bothering me is the beneficial bacteria in FW is not the same for SW. You could have a spike in ammonia or nitrites from losing all your beneficial bacteria as soon as you go SW. I definitely think slow is better.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

It might not work. They are designed in nature to go from fresh to salt as they age. Nobody can really answer this unless they have tried. I have had GSP's for years they do best in brackish at any age. If you are set on trying it bring your tank up to brackish conditions at least.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. The store recieves the fish in brackish so I'm just waiting till they get some in.

Tags
fish, moving, moving fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com