Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-22-2008, 10:59 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to cofano32
nice set up man what livestock you gonna put in that bad boy?

Old 12-22-2008, 11:15 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

not 100% sure yet.. I'll def go with clowns as I have little kids (3yr, 2yr, and 10mo old). Need I say more?
I def want some form of inverts and maybe one of those guys that sift the sand (blenny?)
But knowing me, I'll be sure to upgrade my lighting and turn this into a Reef tank. But, I hope I can hold out until 2010 for that.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:32 PM   #33

i totally understand, and your looking to get a gobie to sift your sand. what lighting do you have no may i ask not sure if you told us already
Old 12-22-2008, 11:59 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's a standard Perfecto conopy/light combo. I bought the setup in 1995 and it's still got the original 20W bulb in it. Talking to my LFS and what I;ve read here, it's fine for FOWLR. But I KNOW I'm not going to be happy with my lighting once my livestock is in there.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:18 AM   #35

yeah i understand maybe you could just buy a good bulb for it
Old 01-05-2009, 04:38 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank is ready~!

Tank has been cycling for almost a month now.

Ammonia = 0
Nitrites = 0
Nitrates = 0
PH = 8.3
Temp = 79
SG = 1.022

Yesterday I performed a large water change and used the water I removed to clean some more of the waste off the LR. I then Aquascaped to the best of my ability

I noticed that alot/most of my purple turned white on my LR during the cycle. I'm also noticing ALOT of GREEN now on the LR. There is also a new spot that is turning a yellowish/orange color.

Anyway.. been doing alot of searches on this topic and I see that ALOT of people experience Die off when they cycle with LR and I believe it should all come back eventually.

I will be adding Livestock this week as well as another overflow for the other side of the tank.

Here are some pics just taken.. Apologies for the reflection but it's quite sunny today here. I may replace these photos with new ones tonight when the sun is down.

Here is the newly scaped tank waiting for me to add fish:

Here is a close up of one of the LR pieces (showing the Yellow/orange spot):
Old 01-12-2009, 02:22 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

LIVESTOCK added 7days ago. 2 False clowns and 10 Margaritas snails.

I really think I did a nice job on my fishless cycle as I took readings each day after adding livestock. On the second day, I noticed my ammonia went from 0 to .25. Nitrates and Nitrites stayed the same. Next morning Ammonia was back at Zero and has remained there. Gonna mix up 5gals of Saltwater tonight and do a WC tomorrow night.

Some Observations:

Pretty much lost ALL my Purple Coraline that came with my LR. It all turned white. I do notice alot of other colors coming back (greens, yellows, and oranges) but Purple is GONE! I'm waiting for my new T5 lighting to arrive and I hope that will help bring it back!

Margaritas Snails Die easily if they fall off the rock. I've lost 3or4 snails this week. I watched one fall off the LR and land on it's back. I just assumed it would turn itself over. Next morning, snail was in the exact same place and dead. I've turned over a few that were stuck on their backs since, and they seem fine. They immediatly start moving.

SW is awesome!

Pics will follow tonight as I re-aquascaped this past weekend.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #38
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Nice looking rock work! How are you acclimating your inverts?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:57 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks.. I rescaped and I like it even better now. More compacted and a bit higher. My thinking was to make it more "REEF" friendly in the event I want to move to corals in the coming months or years I plan to add more Base Rock around what I've got now.

I do NOT have a QT, so I acclumated the inverst by floating the bag in the tank for 30mins. Then I transfered the contents of the bag into a 1gal plastic fishbowl. The bowl fit perfectly into my tank wedged into my canopy opening. So, I think I was able to keep the temps the same. Then, over the coarse of the next hour or so, I poured small amounts (1oz) of water from my tank into the bowl every 10mins or so.Then Finally, I took each snail out of the bowl by hand and placed them on my LR in differnt places.
Some have stayed and work on the actual rock I placed them on while others have since moved to the Glass, powerheads, Skimmer wire, etc.

FYI.. pretty much did the same thing with my clowns. Only difference is the Hand placing of course. With the fish, I just poured the water through my net into a bucket to catch the fish. Then Dropped them into the Tank.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:56 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak

Update:

Added my new T5 lighting last week. Yesterday, my diatom Bloom started. The tank is still REALLY young so I will see what happens. I hope it will Burn itself out over time (1month??)

Anyway.. Here is are my details:

2 - F P Clowns
1 - Coral Beauty
6 - Margarita Snails

Amm = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = .10
PH = 8.3
Temp = 77
SG - 1.023

Here are some pics with the NEW lighting and the Diatom algae Bloom that is occuring. I swear, if I stare at the tank, I can see it grow!!

And I realize I have to clean my glass!

TANK and SUMP :My Wife is just about done making a Nice Black Curtain for the stand to hide it's UGLINESS. FYI - Electric will be re-wired more safely tonight.. Just testing my timers today!):

AquaScaping:

CLOWNS:

Coral Beauty:

Comments/Suggestions Welcomed

Tags
brackish, moving

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com