Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-02-2008, 12:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Moving from Brackish to SW

Hi,

This is my first group of questions on this upcoming project. In my first post in the Intrductions forum I explained what my intentions are.

Taking the plunge

In short, I've got a 45gal tank, HOF (aquaclear500), Heater, stand, power heads, hood and light.

To avoid killing my wallet right before the holidys, I plan to only purchase a Skimmer and I'm leaning towards the AquaC Remora Pro.

My first question is regarding Live Rock. For my current Brackish setup, I purchased a rather large piece of rock from my LFS. It was a very nice addition to the tank but it quickly turned Brown as the tank get's a bit too much sunlight in it's current location. I'd like to include this rock in my SW setup. How should I go about cleaning this rock before adding it to my new SW tank for the initial cycle? I'll also be adding some live rock around it.

More questions to follow

Old 12-02-2008, 02:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
I would put it into a bucket with some saltwater and take a toothbrush to scrub off the major stuff. Don't worry about getting it to clean because its just going to get nasty again during the tank cycle. Once the tank finishes cycling and you put in your clean up crew they will get things much cleaner then you have any way of doing.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks Pat! Makes alot of sense

I'm going to head up to the LFS and drop off my current Brackish Inhabitants (ony a couple big guys) and check out their LR selection.
I want to break down the tank ASAP and start cleaning everything.

I will take a photo of the Rock in my current tank to see what you all think. My main concern is IF it will actually be able to become "Live". I have no idea of it's origns as my only goal when purchasing was to keep PH Up in my FW tank. I do believe it's a natural piece of Dead Coral.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:25 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You might want to also think about getting some base rock which will be cheaper and seeding it with some LR.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

IT will become live, they always do and.......It's about TIME! Welcome to the saltwater world!!!
Old 12-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
You might want to also think about getting some base rock which will be cheaper and seeding it with some LR.
OK.. I like the sound of that..

So.. Say my current Rock is approx 15lbs andI think I want to shoot for around 45-70lbs of Rock in the end.

So, I'll need to buy around 40-50lbs of rock. What Ratio (live to base) should I buy?
Old 12-02-2008, 09:00 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Maybe 75% base and 25% Live. Most BR I`ve seen sells for around 2.99 a lb while LR around here sells for about 8.99 a lb. I put 200 lbs of LR in my tank at 8.99 a lb. I wish someone had told me about BR. Hey BTW welcome to AA

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 12-02-2008, 10:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
Maybe 75% base and 25% Live. Most BR I`ve seen sells for around 2.99 a lb while LR around here sells for about 8.99 a lb. I put 200 lbs of LR in my tank at 8.99 a lb. I wish someone had told me about BR. Hey BTW welcome to AA
Thanks for the Welcomes..I love the AA references.. My name is Rob, and I'm about to spend ALOT of Money converting to Salt Water...

OK.. really like those ratios.. I don't care if I have to wait longer for the tank to cycle/seed..

I just donated a couple real nice African Ciclids to the LFS and took a look at their Rock Selection.. $13.99/lb for small pieces. YIKES.. Time to shop around. I also priced a Skimmer there. They didn't have the one I bought online but they had the Super Skimmer 65 for $179 which is crazy expensive..
Old 12-02-2008, 11:29 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

That`s why I say go with BR. They get away with Robbery on that LR.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 12-03-2008, 11:01 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok.. so here is where I am at. Last night I emptied my Brackish tank, and clean all the powerheads and the filter. I ordered the AquaC Remora Pro Skimmer and should have this early next week.

My next question is should I order the LR Now? I can mix up some SW and add it to a garbage can in my basement with some Powerheads. Or, should I just get the tank all set up first, then Cure the rock in it once it's running and use the LR to Cycle the tank?

Tags
brackish, moving

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com