Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-12-2005, 07:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
Moving Need Advise on how to move 125gal tank.

Im going to be moving at the end of the month and was wanting some advice on how i should move my 125gal tank, and 30 gallon sump? I have about 150lbs of LR and 100lbs of sand. What should i use to move the tank and fish, i will have to take a majority of the water with me to the new house whats the easiest way to move it all in one day?

" 'TAP TAP TAP'...Here fishy fishy fishy"
gooyferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 08:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Talk to salttanker. He just moved his tank.

*The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.
*If guns kill people...Spoons make Michael Moore fat.
Brenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 09:17 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
I have moved mine 2x in the last 2 years

Get separate containers for the fish and corals. I put all my LR in buckets with a bit of water and wet towels on top. Any rock that had corals stuck on it went into a rubbermaid. All of my SPS and delicate corals went in a container by themselves too.

When I moved mine, the DSB was about 1.5 yrs old I think. I scooped the top 2" and put that in a separate container from the bottom 2" of sand. When you put in back into the tank, put the bottom back on the bottom. You might get some new sand in case yours smells bad when you start removing it.

Then put as much water in the containers you can carry.

When I set it all back up, I put the sand, LR and fish in first. I tried to run a power filter for awhile to try and clear the water up. Corals went in next but I kept my delicate corals in the rubbermaid over night with a heater and power head.

The tank will be real cloudy and it was hard to situate stuff. I basically just threw it all in and re-aquascaped the next day.

Have lots of containers. Lowes sells buckets and lids that hold water pretty good.
*180 gal Display, 100 gal basement sump, 33 gal refugium, 3x250 MH, 2x160 VHO actinics, zoos, some softies, LPS & lots of acros and other SPS.
*100 gal prop tank plumbed into main system w/ 2x96 PC lights and 1x150 MH,
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 10:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
Ok thanks for the help thats what i had planned cool beans!
" 'TAP TAP TAP'...Here fishy fishy fishy"
gooyferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 06:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently moved and my advice to you is to have a friend who can help, have lots of containers that can hold water and be as quick as possible.

I pretty much filled up some containers half way with water, then pulled the rocks out and submerged them and closed the container to stop spillage.

I put the fish, crabs, snails and corals each in their own bag and then put them into a black bucket and then covered it up to make it dark (less stress on the fish).

I then drained the remaining water out the aquarium and then removed the sand bed (only because the tank is too heavy with the sand in it) into its own set of bags. The bags were just the ones you get from the LFS which they push fish into when you buy.

Transported as quick as possible and upon arrival took the opportunity to clean up the algae in normally hard to reach spots (tip: use a handful of sand to clear away the algae.. works a treat).

I put the sand in and then the rock and filled it up as I went to "lighten" the weight and see how it sits as water is added.

I put the heater, filter and power heads in and ran them. I checked the water temp of the tank and the bags in which the fish are in, and the levels of both and they were fine so the fish went back in. Did the same with the corals and other inverts.

Aftar about an hour or two the water cleared up and it was all looking sweet. Only lost one fish which was already on the out due to being a weakling and wouldn't challenge fish for food.

I had a friend who's also a marine aquarium hobbiest who helped me and we had about a 20km distance to travel. The whole process took around five hours, so be prepared for the time alone it takes.
flanque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 05:13 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
i agree i just moved did this and 3 weeks later all fine

4ft tank 45kg LR- corals-torch coral,button corals,6 fuzzy mushrooms,18 mushrooms,toadstool,platecoral,golf-ball, cricket-ball,sponge and a few trees.fish-snowflake eel,blue-tang,chromie,halchoeres chrysus(banana-wrasse),2 gobies.inverts-2 stars,2 hermit-crabs,anemone-shrimp and a few snails
jayfish is offline   Reply With Quote

move, moving, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com