moving new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bamaboy2go

Aquarium Advice Regular
Now that my new 30 gal tall tank has gone through it's cycle, I plan on moving it upstairs. Should I use part of the old SW or just refill with new?? When set back up will add live stock after a few days of the set up. system also has 10 gal. sump below tank in stand.

humm depends on alot of things what are the readings and have you done a water change since the end of the cycle and i would be carefull about adding them so soon you never know with a really new tank like that it might cycle again. what do you all have in it now sand, live rock ? and how did you cycle it? and how long has it been down with the cycle you have to add fish right after the cycle or you will have to start over again since the good bac you maid died off with nothing to break down. wish i could help ya some more but need more info about the tank

started with 30 lbs. of live rock in 30 gal plastic garbage can, coved with saltwater two powerheads air stone and temp. from 78 to 80. did 100% water change 3 times and removed any dead material ( had 3 small crabs to show up in fisrt water change moved to Qt) after 4th week move LR to tank where it is now with 3 inch sand base that was seeded with sand from my main tank. its been 4 weeks and readings are good. ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10, ph 8, salinity 1.023, alk 6, calcium 420 ppm, and po4 .4 the rock has started growing halimeda algae and the small feather dusters. Put the 3 crabs back in last week doing great. doing 25% water change now that it's in tank. Would like to move it from den to upstairs bedroom and start adding a few fish. do you think that it could go through a cycle again if I used all new SW? or not if I put most of the old SW back in after set up?

i would use all the water you have currently right now. i would just keep the rock coverd in water so there is no die off and keep just enough water to keep the sand covered. then i would just set it back up with the same water. i have moved my 30 twice from rental place and place since i am a college student and have to move to cheaper rent. and i just got a free bee 65 and moved it and had it down for three days i just did everything i told ya and i usualy have a minute cycle that doesnt really stress anything and is over in a few days. but i dont you have any cycle at all but so long as no levels have moved after 48 hours of being setup i would be comfortable with placing fish in the tank but ya know one fish a week or depending on size may to ya to let the tank keep up with the new bioload.

have fun tanks are such a pain to move so much better when i was at home and it set in the same place for years no buckets and back pain later.

have fun and hope that helps

Thanks for the info. will not like moving the tank up the stairs but will be great to wake up each day with the tank to get me up and going. And what a great way to go off to sleep watching the guys in the tank. :)

If your water is within parameters, use as much of it as you can. After the move, check it again just in case. You shouldnt have any problems with a move upstairs. Only when you go long distances will you encounter probelms.

Back
Top Bottom